cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

european use in a car

Gregory_1861658
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have a 2GB data only SIM for use in my car (Jaguar XF - 68 plate). No problem with using it in the UK, but I believe I need to change settings for use in Europe.

I've had a quick look at the settings in my car but don't seem to be able to find anything remotely like "Mobile Networks" or "APN" etc as detailed in the Smarty guide.

Has anyone had a similar problem? As you can probably guess I'm not exactly tech. savvy!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Greg

3 REPLIES 3

FP
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

I'd try a Jaguar User community or support line.

Hi FP, thanks for your response, it is most appreciated.

That is what I had come to the conclusion of, but I spotted an old post on the community forum and a couple of years ago someone had suggested putting the SIM card in a phone and trying to set it up for european use from there, and hey presto it worked!! - well I hope ot has, off to France next week so we shall see.

I find it strange that Smarty don't suggest such on the website instructions. I guess it is pretty obvious if you are tech savvy (which I am most definitely not!!).

Thanks anyway

Regards

Greg

Smarty is a no frills mobile phone network and they, and other networks come to that, donโ€™t support set up in cars and other bits of tech.

You should now research how much data your SIM will use in France - If you plan to use it for navigation / maps in France, it will burn through 2 GB very quickly - As Smarty plans can be changed every 30 days, whilst you are away, I would change to a plan that allows you the full use of the 12 GB roaming allowance, but even then, depending on the length of your trip and how much driving you will do, even 12 GB may not be enough - Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze are data heavy applications.

You may need to get a French SIM card to supplement the 12 GB of data allowed by Smarty or use a French SIM card for the entirety of your trip. 2 GB wonโ€™t last long.