Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Data only SIM restrictions

DarrenL_2191633
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Hi,

I'm considering ordering a data only SIM, as a group owner for use in a phone, but the restrictions on a data only SIM seem a little unclear, if anybody could clear these up, it'd be great:

1. The phone wouldn't be able to make calls or text (SMS/MMS) period? (WhatsApp etc will still work) what about WiFi calling, what about RCS?

2. Can the device receive calls at all?

3. It appears there are out of plan allowances, would it be possible for the user of this SIM to trigger a calls add on, without my consent as the group owner?

A little context to what I'm trying to achieve:

I currently pay for a calls and data SIM for my daughter, she's 12 and somewhat defiant.

I have parental controls on her Samsung phone, using the Family Link app, it locks her phone at 9:30pm on school nights and 11pm on weekends and holidays.

I have parental controls on her WiFi only iPad, using the same schedule.

I have parental controls on the mesh network. Using the same schedule.

Presently there are a couple of weaknesses in this strategy, and kids are great at solving problems when it benefits them. 'm hoping a data only SIM can solve one of them. 

When everything cuts off at 9:30pm the expectation is she goes to sleep. Family Link does not completely block the phone, it still allows the child to make and receive calls (Safety feature, they say). My child seemingly cannot grasp this concept of it being sleep time and discovered she can still make calls, beyond sleep time.

Mornings aren't fun, she's tired and moody as she breaks the rules.

Initially I had to physically remove the devices from her room, but sometimes I nod off watching telly, sometimes I forget and in reality the rules are the rules, she needs to learn to accept them and I need to be able to trust her to do so.

So, I'm obviously not here for parenting advice, I just want to know what hapoens when I get a data only SIM. Is it completely impossible to make or receive calls? If that is true, is there any way that she could buy a bolt on etc, without my explicit consent?

Obviously given the context I provided, I want it to be impossible to make and receive calls and also impossible for her to upgrade to a calls package etc.

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it canโ€™t, itโ€™s data only, unless you buy an add on.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

A data only sim is just that, data only, so no calls, no texts. 

If you need a device to make calls, even only occasionally, a data only sim is not suitable.

From Smartyโ€™s website :

โ€Looking for a Data Only SIM?

*Our data only plans are perfect for when you need great value data and nothing else.*

Perfect for hotspotting, as a Data Only SIM for tablets, or as an emergency backup for your home broadband.

As a group owner, YOU would control all payments. Unless your child gets hold of your ID and password ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks,  that pretty much answers my question. The only bit still unclear is can it receive calls? I assume it has a mobile number assigned, as I read other posts first, it just appears to be hidden?

Her friends call, she answers when she should be sleeping, so if it cannot receive calls, this will be a perfect solution until she learns bed time means sleep.

Thank you

No, it canโ€™t, itโ€™s data only, unless you buy an add on.

Perfect. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks. 

Me also facing same problem 

@Khimana_2511015  As this post has an Accepted Solution, hasn't your question been answered here?