Did you mean: 

WIN BIG THIS SUMMER

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

SMR0157_Summer_Giveaway_Featured_Post_600x420px_Opt1@1x.png

WIN BIG THIS SUMMER

From a posh picnic to a grand getaway!

Would jetting off with a friend to Europe for a fabulous 4* city break complete your summer?

Well, it’s one of the BIG prizes up for grabs in our huge summer giveaway – win 3 nights in a 4* hotel for two with return flights, private airport transfers, travel insurance and £200 spending money. And when it comes to choosing the destination, you’re the boss. Take your pick of return flights from selected UK airports to either Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dubrovnik, Lisbon, Paris, Prague, Rome or Stockholm. The prize is worth over £2,500!

That’s not all, there’s loads of these great prizes up for grabs too:

• Fortnum & Mason picnic hampers x 5
  • Luxury three-piece luggage sets from Rock x 5
  • GoPro HERO 12 cameras x 5
  • Beats SOLO 4 wireless headphones x 5
  • Tile Pro 4 pack (to keep track of your luggage) x 5
  • Tile Pro 2 pack x 10

HOW CAN I WIN BIG?

It’s so easy. Just answer this question to be entered into the prize draw for your chance to bag our grand getaway or one of our other super prizes:

• What is your best hack for summer getaway?

The Prize Draw opens 22/07/24 at 10:00 and closes on 01/09/24 at 11:59 (“Promotion Period”). 

To enter the Prize Draw entrants must be a SMARTY customer and have an active plan as at the end date of the Promotion Period.  Entrants must have registered for the SMARTY Community within the Promotion Period and be over 18 years of age and a UK resident (“Eligible Entrants”).

Only one entry per entrant. Winners will be selected at random.

For full terms click here

Team SMARTY

UPDATE - COMPETITION CLOSED

The competition is now closed and we will draw the winner from all the eligible entries. Keep your fingers crossed and an eye on your Private Message inbox.

Thanks to everyone who contributed some brilliant entries. We had almost three thousand posts !

Keep up the great work everyone; the SMARTY Community belongs to us all and succeeds because of your great contributions.

2,842 REPLIES 2,842

DTyllye_2689832
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Download Google translate to deal with the language barrier. Always handy when trying to break down the communication barrier.

philiph_1447186
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Print paper copies of your boarding passes just in case of issues with phone.

LindaFo_2496291
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Take a collapsible walking pole to save your legs from getting too tired.

AdrianS_1722561
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

On short trips, pack light, when taking hold luggage, split you clothes between 2 suit cases, just in case one gets lost. And when going through security, make sure you are organised with liquids in plastic clear bags and listen to the airport staff's instructions, nothing worse than queues because travellers haven't been organised. Always check your flight is on time and get there in plenty of time. 

JanetGr_2063904
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I like to research my destination and list the things I want to do, I may not get to see everything but I’m definitely excited to be going once I have seen all the possibilities

JudithW_2206417
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Take a photo of your passport - the page with all your details on.  It is vital if by chance your passport is lost or stolen.

PeterWe_2506762
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Take a photo of your passport, in case you lose it!

NicoB
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Eat where the locals eat. Don't go to touristy restaurants, ask the locals where they would go. I've had some of the best food recommended by the locals. It's cheaper too 

DarrenMu_895229
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

If staying in a hotel/house/room you’re not sure about, you can use your phone to check if there are any hidden cameras in the room. Use you phone camera on selfie mode to scan the room as the phone camera can pick up infrared light on it, emitted by hidden cameras (whereas the human eye can’t). Not one of the more pleasant hacks but could prove useful sometime in certain situations! 

Georgia_2265894
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

My hack is to read travel blogs written by locals, instead of big sites like Tripadvisor - these will be more honest, up-to-date and give you tips and recommendations most tourists won't see!

PeterCar_396932
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer
  • My best hack for summer getaway? Take a backpack with wheels built in! We are interrailing and it will be a lifesaver 🙂

Catherin_733839
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

shampoo bars, toothpaste/mouthwash tablets

MollyR
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Assuming that you are very very old like my husband and me, make sure you absolutely avoid going during school holidays!

TabrazK_1618262
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Avoid bank foreign exchange fees by using a card like monzo.

Exchange currency in your travel country- rates are generally better. 

Seperate trip- travel like a local get local trains and buses , will allow you to see a different side to your travel destination. 

Janabh_phuk24
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Bring a portable blender wherever you go. You can just buy any fruit you want and voila you got yourself a juice or food anytime. It helps quench your thirst and at the same time makes your tummy full to get you through the summer day. 

Neonis
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Plan nice and early 

DeniseH_2319055
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Making sure I have good Wi-Fi and a charger no matter in the world where I have been 

NaomiSch
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Shop like a local

ShirleyB
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Wear sunscreen 

ShirleyB
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Wear sunscreen 😎

Topaz66
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Check last minute deals and be flexible with dates

JCE
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

It's great to wake up in an amazing location with everything laid on and all the luxuries fully loaded, who doesn't love room service! But cover your back too... In my glovebox is an emergency kit to keep me alive in the wilderness in event of breakdown. Powerbank in boot should you be lucky enough to Netflix, chill and breakdown somewhere discreet with company. Have a few gold Sovereigns discreetly secured somewhere on your person, for real trouble in far away lands. That should always be enough to get you a flight home from pretty much anywhere in the world. Or at least bribe your way to the nearest UK embassy! Remember holiday doesn't have to be a towel by the pool.. by plane or car, boat or bike... Make it an adventure!!

DianeFa_2837284
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Roll clothes instead of folding

rgr_772354
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Packing cubes for easy packing; book tickets for museums etc in advance to save money and make sure you can visit on the date you want; take a photo on your phone of your passport and all necessary docs.

FrancisD_587580
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Make sure to split any medication required between your suitcase and hand luggage. 

NeilKen_1242802
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

My best hack for a summer getaway is to bring a brita water filter bottle so the water is nice and clean. 

if you’re in Rome use the water fountains water is clean and cool. Block the main faucet and the water comes from the top directly to your face/mouth. All free to use. 

StanHubb_778895
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

The Malvern Hills and Great  Malvern Theatre,  Priory, Splash swimming pool , Priory Park, Free Natural water from springs 

HollyCh_1817420
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Use Skyscanner and set your destination to ‘everywhere’ to find bargain flights to near and far places!

Gunjeet_1390684
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Free holidays anywhere in this world without any hassle explore whatever you want be a free bird likewise me time 😊

Gunjeet_1390684
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

A free holiday anywhere in the world without any hassle explore the world do whatever you want away or be with friends still me time 😊

Chris8571
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Pack only essential clothing. You'll then have room in your luggage to put the purchases you just couldn't not make!

StevenCl_179775
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Make the most of coupons and discounts

FionaCla_183417
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Pre-order your toiletries/suntan lotion online and collect at airport once you've gone through security 🙂

IANMIDDL_270818
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Pack clothes that can be swapped in styles so that shirts and shorts can be worn more than once and no one will know. Keeping your case light. 

IANMIDDL_270818
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

when travelling abroad use make sure you have enough data use smarty and recommend them to friends 12gb within your normal package 😁

GillieW_1247564
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Spilt all your stuff between your luggage in case a case gets lost in transit. That way everyone will have some gear when you arrive!

Rachael_1494145
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Book some great accommodation and use it as your base.

DingosKidney
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Pack man made fibre clothes that can be washed in the shower with normal soap and dry in a couple of hours, as opposed to cotton.  This way, you can take less clothes, use smaller suitcases (maybe just under the seat bags) and save on airline costs and have less weight to carry.

DingosKidney
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Only take man made fibre cloths, which don't wrinkle and can be washed in the shower at your hotel using shower gel and then dry within a couple of hours.  You can take less clothes, a smaller case and avoid the airline costs for checked bags and maybe just take an under the seat bag.