cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What makes certain VoLTE-capable devices incompatible with your network?

JivanP
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Hi,

I have been a long-time Smarty customer, with three devices currently subscribed to your network since 2018. All three devices are 4G-capable and support VoLTE, and one of them is 5G-capable. Let's call the 5G-capable device "A", and the other two devices "B" and "C".

Owing to the 3G switchoff, which happened in my area on 24 Sep 2024, device C is no longer able to connect to the Smarty network in specific rooms of my house (does not detect a 3/Smarty tower, only O2, EE, Vodfaone; and reports "Emergency calls only / device not registered on network"), but continues to connect just fine in other rooms of the house and when outside of the house in my home area. Devices A and B are both unaffected and work fine in all areas.

Your website pages/articles and email communications regarding the switchoff list certain devices (which device C is one of) as being incompatible with your VoLTE deployment for "technical reasons", but doesn't elaborate on this. What exactly are / could be the reasons for device C being unable to connect in certain small areas, but devices A and B still being able to connect, despite the fact that all three devices support 4G and VoLTE? I would like to be able to make an informed choice as to which replacement device to buy, so that I don't fall into the same trap even if the new device is not listed on your "incompatible with our network" page, but without artificially restricting myself to just the very small set of devices that you've tested yourselves. I am sure that other technically-minded folk like myself would also appreciate knowing exactly what the cause of the incompatibility is, beyond just "technical issues".

Thanks and regards

1 REPLY 1

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JivanP  Just to make you aware - we are forum members like you and you are not writing to Smarty themselves. For that reason, you will not be able to find the definitive reason here, although there are some members who have a high level of knowledge in the area.