cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Roaming - Watch out for Smarty leaving you high and dry (or in danger!)

SeanDon_1618668
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I’m in Franciso for a few weeks. I tried to use WiFi as much as possible but needed Data for being out and about. I topped up 3 times for max £15 each time - it’s very expensive and disappears quickly. Next thing I know, I get a text msg to say I’d reached a maximum topup ceiling of £45 so that was it until end of monthly billing cycle. I’m in a dodgy area, Call centre closed, chatbot no better than asking a passing cat for advice. Why a) don’t you make this clear and up front in your roaming info b) why don’t you allow ability to increase limit in app c) include in SMS message when you first top up so you have a chance to contact you before you’re stranded without ability to use Uber, google for cabs etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanDon_1618668
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

You have my apologies - I mistakenly thought I was talking to Smarty employee. I will talk directly to Smarty.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@SeanDon_1618668 The price for roaming is crystal clear in the Price Guide pages 18 to 20.

USA is band 1 and the price is 10p per megabyte. Given that there are 1024 Megabytes to a Gigabyte, the charge for roaming is £102.40 for a gigabyte. Yes, it is extortionate but that's what they are charged by the US networks I guess.

T&C's 5.27 indicates that there is a limit for top ups and this is changed from time to time - it is in the interests of customers' security.

Why not buy a local sim or use an Esim if your phone accepts it - much cheaper.

SeanDon_1618668
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I was aware of the USA roaming costs (which we both agree are extortionate). I switched off mobile data for pretty much every app and used Wifi when available. The issue I have is that you did not make we aware (burying an important detail like that in T&Cs page whatever, is not making customers aware). I just needed to be able to top-up - the limit you set was not explicitly advised and is set too low for USA given the fact that costs are so high. You may well be right re eSim/Local Sim but I needed my UK number to be online to receive calls. I still maintain you could handle this a lot better e.g., SMS with limit soon as roaming kicks in, and to allow cusotmers to change this online with account - you have MFA in place so why not. 

@SeanDon_1618668 I'm not sure why you insist on using the second person - "you". We are members of the Community Forum and not employees of Smarty.

If you feel so strongly, you will need to take this up with the company directly, perhaps via complaint.

I don't see them changing anything however as they quite probably are protecting more customers than they are inconveniencing.

My view is that companies cannot take every single factor into consideration, particularly when I suspect that not many customers will use non EU roaming to a great extent precisely due to costs.

SeanDon_1618668
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

You have my apologies - I mistakenly thought I was talking to Smarty employee. I will talk directly to Smarty.

@SeanDon_1618668 Thank you.