cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

why will a non volte phone lose all service in 2025

lukefow_2236187
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

why would texts and data not still work if the phone can use 4g for them, i NEVER make calls anyway. i assume this will be enforced by imei so if my phone stops working i will change its imei number to the imei number of a broken volte phone that i have

4 REPLIES 4

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Traditional calls and texts canโ€™t be made over 4G or 5G connection, they come in and go out over a data connection known as VoLTE. Disable VoLTE or attempt to make a call on a device that isnโ€™t VoLTE capable and your connection will drop to 3G or 2G to complete the call.

i should still be able to use 4G data, my device should become like a 4G data only device

Hey! ๐Ÿ™Œ

In 2025, the shutdown of 2G and 3G networks will result in non-VoLTE phones being unable to make voice calls or send SMS messages. This may limit their functionality to data services only. In order to ensure continued service, we recommend considering upgrading to a VoLTE-capable device.

The shutdown of 2G and 3G networks is mainly being implemented by telecommunication companies in order to optimise their spectrum usage and lower costs, in response to consumer preferences and advancements in technology. Government and regulatory bodies are also involved in helping to facilitate this transition by encouraging the adoption of more efficient and advanced network technologies. 

SMARTY's coverage checker should inform you when the 3G network will be switched off in your postcode: Coverage checker | SMARTY

-Linsey

the information on the three website says calls, texts AND DATA will only work when using a 4g calling device, suggesting data will not work