cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Any plans for Visual Voicemail for SMARTY and any other networks that use the 3 network infrastructure?  Voicemail is quite 1990s in that it delivers a text with a just a phone number, so you have to dial voicemail in order to identify who the caller actually is? Most of the other networks in the UK now offer this feature (or hybrid notification by icon and caller info).  3 network in Hong Kong have visual voicemail, so why doesn’t the UK have this feature?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LouisK
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @Michael_T 

Thank you for being one of our first customers to join our community!

Sadly, at this stage, we do not have any plans to introduce Visual Voicemail, although if we choose to implement this in the future we will be sure to let you know!

Best wishes,

LouisK

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

LouisK
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @Michael_T 

Thank you for being one of our first customers to join our community!

Sadly, at this stage, we do not have any plans to introduce Visual Voicemail, although if we choose to implement this in the future we will be sure to let you know!

Best wishes,

LouisK

Thank you for feeding back on this matter Louis.  I am disappointed to hear that you have no plans to introduce this, given the 3 infrastructure in other countries does have this feature, and many competing UK networks also have it.  I’ve seen many posts from people on 3 network (and MVNOs running on it) who are equally disappointed with the lower spec voicemail service on offer…so, perhaps something for future consideration to bring the standard up to other networks?

SarahW
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Without this there is also no way to retrieve deleted voicemails, as unlike other providers there is not an option to listen to recently deleted when you dial voicemail.

This might not seem that important but trust me it becomes a lot more so when someone dies and there is no way to retrieve their last message. 

I’ve gone round and round with the terrible customer service about this as they keep telling me to check the visual voicemail, which isn’t even a service they offer. 

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@SarahW  I do understand your disappointment in such circumstances.

However, it's not like Smarty ever advertised that this service was available, to be fair.

This may be a cost issue - I'm not sure. If it is, then it's important to realise that this company is pitched at customers who want a no-frills, no long contracts, reasonably priced service.

I have just moved to Smarty bringing my family’s plans across too. I  just assumed visual voicemail would be available as I have had it with every network provider for the last 10 years. If this isn’t introduced then I don’t think I’ll be staying very long, it’s not the innovative network it claims  to be and the chat only customer service is dire. 

@DaemonB_2706859 Not sure what any of us can advise here really. If that feature is important to you, then unfortunately I suppose you will need to move to a network that does offer it.

While I take your point, the fact is that for many of us it is not important and we are satisfied with the service provided t a very reasonable price without being locked into a long contract.

Sorry, thought this was the Smarty Lab forum for new smarty content ideas. Visual voicemail is something I suggest is reconsidered. 

MathewO_1405374
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just moved over from O2 to Smarty and cant believe that Visual Voicemail is not being offered 😞 

Same. It's quite a big deal and I will be going back.

DanielM_1929029
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

After switching I am very dissappointed to discover that visual voicemail is not standard. I will be reconsidering my provider.

Anthony_1892136
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Just jumping on the bandwagon with this one. Visual voicemail isn't some new feature that's owned by one provider. Is there any update on this @LouisK? The whole calling a number from a text thing and actually having to listen to each voicemail is not great. 

PS. I know I can skip etc, but that's not the point.

node
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I'm also disappointed and frustrated by this, it is genuinely enough of a deal breaker that I'm looking at alternative 30 day contract options.

Visual Voicemail becomes even more useful in the next major iOS release with a feature called Live Voicemail - you'll be able to screen voice mail calls and decide if you want to pick up, as it will do text-to-speech to type out what the person is saying! So useful for rejecting spam calls, or jumping on an important call that you didn't have the caller's number saved for.

https://appleinsider.com/inside/ios-17/tips/how-to-use-live-voicemail-in-ios-17

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@node  Much as I understand that you want this specific feature, I think that the vast majority of customers want a good value, down to earth service that they are not tied in to for a long contract period. If extra services are put on, I suspect that we will all end up paying for it.

node
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Respectfully, that's an assumption on your part, both that the cost of implementing this would need to be passed onto customers, and that "the vast majority" of customers wouldn't want it. 🙂

Smarty have added features before without increasing costs for customers, such as WiFi Calling, 4G calling and free WiFi on the London Underground. I doubt many customers were clamoring for those either, but I'm sure those in poor signal areas now find them valuable.

If cost is a concern, they could offer it as an Add-On, although it is included at no extra cost on most other networks (including other 30 day contract providers) and will only become more valuable with the upcoming Live Voicemail feature.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@node  Please read what I said again. I'm not sure who will pay any associated costs if not the customer - will the shareholders gladly give up some profit?

I also didn't say that the vast majority would not want it - I said that they want a good value down to earth service that does not tie them in for a long period.

TedM
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

The shareholders are literally missing out on customers by not supporting features other providers support. 

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@TedM  The 'bean counters' (accountants) will be looking at how many customers they would attract by having such a function and then will set that against the cost of introducing it.

If there ain't no profit, it ain't likely to happen. 

I wonder how many customers actually leave as a result of not having that function. I think the fact is that very many customers stay because they get a good value-for-money service, albeit without some of the frills.

pjmw
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

+1 I'd love this functionality 

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@pjmw When this was discussed some months ago, the general impression was that it isn't due anytime soon.

AllanM
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

The lack of this feature is the only one that is making me consider leaving Smarty. Making it a £1/month add-on would be fine too. 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Have a look at “Hullomail” from the London based “Thumbtel”

Its good 

https://www.thumbtel.com/hullomail/ 

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Is this like a feature only on iOS or is it on Android as well? I've only seen a lot of hype for this from iOS users though .. I don't think my Android supports a live voicemail feature like this 🤔

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Hi @jassingh 

Visual Voicemail has been available since Android 6 Marshmallow, but is not widely available, nor known about for some reason. 

‘Thumbtel”, a London based company, offer a paid app called “HulloMail” available for both Android and iOS, which is a very capable replacement for iOS Visual Voicemail. 

https://www.thumbtel.com/hullomail/ 

Richard_2395043
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Another vote from me for Visual Voicemail.  I just assumed that in 2023 it would be standard to support it.

And yes, if I find a competitive offer that offers it then I’d switch. 

@Richard_2395043 You must accept that, for many customers, this is not a deal-breaker.

A lot of us are more interested in a good value-for-money network that allows us to call, send messages and use some internet. 

It's a case of "gorses for courses" and I do understand that there are some who have different priorities.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

Apologies - should be "horses for courses" - unable to edit for some reason.