cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I receive SMS when abroad in Thailand for work?

aaronjwright
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I am going to work in Thailand for a few days and need to receive SMS messages to login and verfify access to certain websites and tools. I have adjusted my sim settings so my phone should work. Although I won't be making calls or sending SMS I understand I may need to add some credit or do something to ensure I am able to receive SMS. Please can someone advise of the process to ensure that I have the best chance of things working when I arrive there on Sunday morning. 

Cheers
Aaron

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@aaronjwright  The Price Guide has info that you will need:https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf?_gl=1*151hkfc*_gcl_au*ODk2MDg5MTEyLjE3MjEwMzA0....

Using an add-on (p15) will give you credit to make or receive calls and use data while Roaming outside the EU.

As far as I can see, you should be able to RECEIVE an sms at no charge (p20)

Thanks for the clarification. I am currently on a monthly deal of "40GB Data, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Voice". Is this a "bundle"? I'm not really sure what a "bundle" or a "add-on" is assuming they aren't the same and if should be legible to receive calls on my "40GB Data, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Voice" deal or is I need to do something on top of this.

@aaronjwright The monthly deal you describe is known as a Smarty Plan - https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans

An add-on is effectively adding credit to sit on your account to pay for anything which is not included in your Smarty Plan. This could include international calls made from the UK to overseas or Roaming outside the EU (as you described in your post)

Roaming outside the EU can be fairly pricey, so you need to assess your likely needs.

If you need a lot of data while in Thailand, it may pay to consider an Esim (if your phone will accept it). You can use that to make calls via WhatsApp (or similar) as well as standard internet usage.

Companies supplying Esims mentioned on this forum before include Airalo (I've used them successfully) and Holafly.

So minimal add-on will suffice to receive SMS and calls, but be careful with roaming with data as this will use all my allowance. I can disable data for roaming - just need to receive SMS to fulfil my job and need an add-on to ensure calls and SMS come through right?

@aaronjwright  

@aaronjwright  Add-ons start at ยฃ5 

Data in Thailand - Group 1 - is 10p per Megabyte so ยฃ5 wouldn't last long even just looking up a few pages. Calls state 5p - I assume per minute but does not say in Price Guide.