cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Switch off: forced upgrade to a 'new' device

BrianOli_244981
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a brand new (less than 3 months old) mainstream phone from a leading manufacturer, which is ‘future proof’ in the short to medium term. This new Moto, only released December 2021, has 2100, 1800 and 800MHz capability, is provisioned for WiFi Calling/Vowifi (but doesn't work on Smarty) and is provisioned for 4G Calling/VoLTE (which I've just been told also won't work) ...

Last week, Smarty contacted me giving 30 days notice "to upgrade to a new device to stay connected"! There’s no actual date for the switch off, only “mid-February”, so my phone could stop working on any random, unknown day, not coinciding with a billing period, leaving me out of pocket and out of data. To make matters worse, I have a Smarty Group plan with two identical phones, so that’s double the inconvenience.

Smarty suggest getting a new phone and simply moving the sim across (there’s a cost of living crisis, right? I’m not in the game of shelling out a couple of hundred pounds every three months) or only using my handset in 3G areas (how far will I have to drive just to send a text message, haha). Actually, it’s in Smarty’s gift to certify more devices, saving pointless ££upgrades. Smarty Tech Support just need to force their settings to more devices. Two years on, the only Motorola fully supported (in their own words) for Wifi Calling on SMARTY is the G8 Power, even though others (such as my G31) are fully provisioned for Wi-Fi Calling. I wonder just how many Motos and other devices will now be deemed VoLTE incompatible re. the 3G switch off.

SMARTY say that their friends at Three have a handy device tool which will show if your device is VoLTE compatible, but its not even an up to date list. After a time-wasting trawl through the list, only three Moto (release dates 2017 & 2018) out of 33 listed are compatible. Am I really supposed to 'upgrade' from a 2021 phone to a 2017 phone?

I more than strongly suspect that the solution to my grief lies entirely with Smarty, as I have a dual sim phone. In the empty sim slot, VoWifi and VoLTE are switched on and raring to go. In the slot with the Smarty sim, all of a sudden they're greyed out.

I messaged Smarty on social media with all the exact same information above and politely asking to be escalated to Tech Support. Below is all I got back (just platitudes) along with my reply and that’s the last I heard. Still at least I can rest easy in the knowledge that I won’t have any phone service, but I’ll be some kind of Smarty case study. The customer agent didn’t even ask me for my name and account details, to get back to me with an outcome.

Smarty: “I understand your frustrations with the support for your device. The team are working on as many solutions as possible for the pending 3G switch off. I will raise this to the team as its great to get such insight into how this can effect customers on Moto devices -Nathan”

Me: “Yes but I've had my 30 days notice of being abandoned by Smarty (a week ago), can’t afford to wait 3 more weeks and then wake up with no phone service one morning … Needs action not insight please. This is carrier-specific”

Rant over, but I hope this is a useful 'heads up' for other users who will be affected. Or if anyone can help me out, please do. (Smarty would do well to look at the shambles last year that was BT Digital Voice - a similar switch off, on similar timescales, for similar reasons; this was abandoned as a complete fiasco, ill thought through from a customer experience point of view).

Thanks Smarty, it was good while it lasted.

15 REPLIES 15

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

While I understand your irritation with the situation, I wonder if there are cost implications for Smarty to keeping 3G going. As one of the cheaper networks, this could be a problem. It might be interesting to see if any of the other 'piggyback' networks are doing the same.

I hope you can resolve the issue somehow.

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

There is some. 3G nodeB connects to RNC (radio network controller) where as 4G eNB and 5G gNB Connect directly to the evolved packet core negating the need for RNC.

Removing 3G from their 15Mhz paired block of band1(2100MHz) will allow them to fill it all with 4G, providing superior 4G speeds on that band. 

Lastly, 3G doesn’t play well with OpenRAN and removing 3G will allow three to use more OpenRAN. Currently three mostly use Nokia which is quite expensive. 

Three do still have some 3G-only sites though, mostly rural, that will be interesting…

WelshSian
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

It's not just SMARTY (THREE) switching off their 3G network, they all are. OFCOM want to free up spectrum and infrastructure to support new services, such as 5G.

What phone model do you have @BrianOli_244981? Was it supplied by a network or was it purchased SIM Free? 3G phones are still being sold in retailers and online to unsuspecting individuals who will only find out that they purchased a lemon once 3G is turned off. 

I have a Sim free 4G phone (Moto G31), bought in the full knowledge that it was compatible with Wifi Calling, 4G Calling, and 800 MHz (Volte).

Linsey
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

@BrianOli_244981 

Thanks so much for your comments, we haven't done this type of communication before as it's the first time something like a 3G switch-off has happened! So, we really appreciate your helpful and honest feedback. 

We are sorry for any frustration caused. As we don't hold device data about our customers, we had to work with some circumstantial data about 3G usage which unfortunately isn't 100% accurate and as you recently upgraded, we contacted you regarding the most up-to-date data available to us. Due to the lack of device data, we informed customers that we believe are impacted and request they check if their device is compatible. To do this, we referred people to our sister brand, Three's device checker; thanks for pointing out that the tool wasn't completely up to date, it is something we have fed back to them. 

We believe it's best to over-communicate to customers where the data suggests they could be impacted, than not communicate and leave somebody unexpectedly unconnected. As a result of your comments, we've looked into this and now include reference to other ways customers can check if their device is 4G VoLTE compatible if it doesn't show on the Three device tool. 

Upon checking your device, we can confirm you are all set, your phone will work on the 4G VoLTE spectrum and you do not need to do anything further to stay connected. Our Community is a great place to hear consumer views and again, we thank you for your valued feedback.

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I think they are doing a reasonably decent job of communicating this, and in the end the customer will benefit from better 4G. Other networks are also switching off 3G, easier just to accept that.  Out of interest, what area are you in ? I was wondering where the 3G switch off might start. 

mikeash_1845715
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, I currently have the Moto G6 and looking to upgrade to a more recent offering G31, G32, G62 and it worries me that i'll "splash the cash" and then also end up with a phone that wont allow me to access 4g calling on the smarty network. I've only just moved to smarty from vodafone and dont want to have to go somewhere else.

Where are you going to go @mikeash_1845715? As mentioned above, all the UK networks are switching off their 3G networks.

When it comes to choosing a device, pick a make and model and check the specs to make sure that it supports VoLTE. FYI - The G31, G32, G62 models all support VoLTE calling.

Hi, not planning on going anywhere just trying to get a complete answer regarding phones and 4g calling / VoLTE.

Like you i can confirm that the phones you list have functionality for 4g calling / VoLTE however it also relies on the network switching it on for specific devices as well. As yet i've been unable to get that answer from Smarty. Hopefully I will be able to soon. 

Hi @mikeash_1845715, according to https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/device/Motorola/XT1925MotoG6/specifications/#l=threeukcust&... your G6 should work with VoLTE. If it doesn't but you can get root access you might be able to use voenabler to activate it (which is what I had to do).

UserID2312
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Can I please ask for a clarification, according to this page https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/6142278-switching-off-3g my phone need to be on the 800 band, my phone is fairly recent (2021) and has 4G capabilities, but does not specify 800. Furthermore according to this page https://3g.co.uk/guides/what-frequencies-does-three-network-use three mobile has 4G in other bands too. Can you please clarify if it's absolutely necessary to have a phone on 800 or is that page missing some info?

Thanks

@UserID2312  If your phone works on 4G, it should be fine - that's the main issue.

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I moved to 3, Votle and Wifi calling now work. If you have a Volte/Wifi calling enabled phone that doesn't work on Smarty good chance it's because its not one of the 4 phones they support https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4237414-which-devices-are-compatible-with-wifi-calling

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@dawdie   "one of the 4 phones they support".......there are loads on the list you quotes. Looks like more than 60 models on that list - or have I misunderstood?

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Bit of sarcasm, doesn't travel well over text! Either way its not a very exhaustive list, my phone isn't on the Smarty / EE / Vodaphone / 3 supported list but works on all the networks bar smarty (I churned through tons of P&G testing sims before signing a new contract)