cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best 4G Router for SMARTY

PaulShe_2257769
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

So my parents live in an area with no 5G and they don't want to keep using VM or keep increasing the price every year.

They also want to keep unlimited data and have unlimited calls so I assume they can use an unlocked Huawei B311 router but how old is this router and are there any alternatives? perhaps one with a mesh wifi? 

Thanks

Paul 

6 REPLIES 6

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@PaulShe_2257769,

Smarty don't recommend using mobile data through WiFi, as it is inherently not stable enough.

It is fine using data in a phone, or other mobile device, where changes in data upload and download speeds aren't a deal breaker usually.

Fibre broadband is recommended for home addresses. Otherwise it would be using a phone for calls, and any data needs through the phone and occasional use of tethering/hotspot.

ok well I currently use mobile data through WIFI and it works fine in my Flat s

@PaulShe_2257769,

Just because mobile data used for WiFi works well in your flat, doesn't mean it is universally good.

It's just like mobile phone signal, where in some areas, at some times, the connectivity can be perfect, BUT somebody on a different network can be standing next to you with no signal or at best very poor signal.

Alternately, return to the same area at a different time, you'll struggle to make a phone call.

Ok well I didn't ask about reliability of mobile networks but thanks anyway

@PaulShe_2257769,

As far mobile data reliability goes, READ the Smarty T&C's, but don't complain about lack of reliability because of your own choices.

A SMARTY SIM card will usually work in a mobile broadband router / mifi unit.

HOWEVER, remember that SMARTY don't support their SIM cards when used in these kinds of device. 

This means that if you ever experience  any issues or problems, receiving help from Smarty may be difficult, as they don't have a telephone support helpline.

*Furthermore, the SMARTY terms and conditions (section 5.15 & 5.16) state that you must not use their service as a replacement for a home broadband connection.*