Did you mean: 

websites that are not adult sites blocked

lukefow_2236187
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

smarty is blocking some sites that are not adult sites. some examples:

deviantart.com

archive.org

how do i get sites like these removed from the adult content filter. i dont have a credit card so cant get it removed

11 REPLIES 11

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

If you don't have a credit card, you can start a web chat and provide them with a form of photo ID (e.g passport or driving licence) and they should be able to disable that for you. I've tried to access both sites myself on 5G and they work for me (I do have that filter disabled so not 100% certain it's due to that, but most likely it is).

More info here

Scaramoosh
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Welcome to censorship in the UK and now the online "safety" bill has been approved it will only get worse.

You are bang on with this. I find it deeply offensive and annoying and frankly _insulting_ that this happens – it's awful.

@Landak  The good thing about Smarty is that you will not be tied in and so are free to find a network that meets your needs.

Personally, I am happy that networks are trying to protect minors - even if that is not 100% perfect and causes some minor inconvenience. It is better than the alternative.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Deviantart’s name does it no favours 

The way back machine site gets blocked because it can give you access to archived / cached adult content.

Only if u look for it where some don't.

Bryan
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I wish I'd kept a list of blocked sites that aren't related to adult content whatsoever now. Over the past few years I've come across many. From this day forward I'm going to do this. It may take some time to compile a meaningful list however. I can report Bing Copilot is blocked due to strict safesearch.

@Bryan  On balance, surely it is better for a site to be on the adult content list rather than not being on it and potentially available to minors without restriction.

Ok, so they use algorithms that aren't 100% accurate. It's certainly better than doing nothing in my opinion!

The point is that you can get adult content unblocked, so what's the problem?

Bryan
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

What! Minors don't use my computer! The problem is clear, websites that aren't adult sites being blocked!

"The point is that you can get adult content unblocked, so what's the problem?"

The point is I can't get adult content unblocked. Hence these posts!

@Bryan  The block is there to prevent minors accessing inappropriate material. How would smarty know from the outset that minors don't use your computer?

You actually can get adult content unblocked but you seem to be experiencing a temporary issue with it.

Given the level of issues with youngsters and poor mental health, I for one am very pleased that the adult content block is, if anything, over-zealous. Looks like the telecoms industry agree.

Sorry you seem upset with this, but let's leave it there.

Bryan
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I was only looking for a way to unblock sites that shouldn't be blocked by the filter. If someone has a definitive answer then fine, that's all I was looking for, not mind games. Thanks anyway, yes let's leave it there.