cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Smarty in pocket wifi

Charles_1888557
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have 2 Smarty accounts, one card is used in my non-5g phone and I get over 100mbs downloads. The other card I have in a 5g enabled pocket wifi. If I connect my phone to the pocket wifi, my download speed is only 6mbs. Anyone have any idea why? At this point it is better to use my phone as an access point instead of a device that I bought specifically because it was 5g enabled. For clarity, I am connecting on 4g for the phone but the wifi seems to use 3g, even when both devices and sitting next to each other

4 REPLIES 4

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Maybe your non-5G phone has a better antenna than the pocket Wi-Fi device.
What is the physical size difference between the two devices?

Perhaps the indoor 5G mobile network coverage, on Three UK, at your location isn't great.

If you've got an unlimited data allowance, a word of warning about using mobile broadband on a permanent basis - section 5.15 & 5.16 of SMARTY's terms & conditions state: 

This SIM card should not be used as a permanent long-term alternative to home broadband. If we determine in our sole opinion that your use of the SMARTY Services is in breach of these Terms and/or exceeds that reasonably expected of someone using the Service for legitimate personal, noncommercial use, then we may at our discretion terminate (in accordance with Section 9), or Suspend (in accordance with Section 8), or  restrict your SMARTY Service. As an example, without limitation, we consider that if you regularly tether more than 8 devices that this is unlikely to be legitimate personal, non-commercial use.

The phone and the pocket wifi are almost the same size and I have external antennas for the wifi.  I do not receive any 5g signal in my property here as the closest 5g antenna is over 1 mile away.   I went close to the 5G antenna to check and make sure that the wifi picked up the 5 g signal and it does.  My question is why if I tether my wifi to my phone, does the download speed slow down to 6MB when if I disconnect the wifi, my phone downloads at 100+MB.  I dont use the wifi as a  replacement for my home broadband, only bought it as a backup and for when we travel.  Both Smarty Sims connect to the 3 UK network in my house, but the wifi only shows it connecting on 3G and my phone connects on 4G, even though the devices are sitting right next to each other.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

I'm slightly confused. If the pocket wifi has a sim, what download speed does it achieve standalone? I'm not sure I understand why you are then tethering it to your phone. Is there supposed to be a decent 5G signal in your area?

If I connect the pocket wifi to my laptop or my phone, it only achieves 6Mb/s on non-5G.  The closest 5G tower is more than a mile away, so I do not receive any 5g signal at my house.  It is just confusing to me that if one Smarty Sim ( in the phone) achieves 100+ MB/s why does the other sim in the wifi only achieve 6MB/s?  The phone is connecting on 4G and the Wifi is only connecting on 3G even when placed next to each other (so should be receiving the same 4G signal)