cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly NO reception

Rw
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

This last month reception has gone. I check the reception map and apparently all is well.

It isn’t. I have no reception on smarty in the Nottinghamshire area. My Wife recently joined smarty and regrets it. My friends also on Smarty have the same issue.

Support are not replying to me. I am livid.

What is happening? I need a safe and reliable service. Smarty was this, but is no longer. It’s so bad I was left stranded the other day as I had no signal to make a phone call or book a taxi online.

I expect a reply. You have until the weekend before I change networks.

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Okay @Rw, might be worth performing a NETWORK RESET given the mobile network has changed significantly, in your area, following 3G network switch-off. 

The iOS user guide explains how to do this on your iPhone.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

SMARTY have turned off their 3G mobile network in that area, @Rw

Unless you're using a correctly configured 4G VoLTE capable handset, you won't be able to call and text, etcetera. 

You might be better off switching to another service provider, though all the UK networks are planning to turn off their 3G networks. 

Rw
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am on an iPhone XR. My wife  is on latest google pixel. My friends are on latest iPhone. I have confirmed my settings with smarty just now (someone finally spoke with me)

They say my settings are correct. I had 4g before. Now I get nothing. I have been a customer of smarty since they launched. I feel let down - they cant do anything.

They just lost 7 customers.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Rw  Possibly too late now, but did you do a Network Status check?

Rw
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Apparently, according to Smarty it’s all good - but I do not believe this as all of are having problems.

I had this with orange years ago - I was on a great tariff. They wanted me off it… the service just became impossible so I left.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Okay @Rw, might be worth performing a NETWORK RESET given the mobile network has changed significantly, in your area, following 3G network switch-off. 

The iOS user guide explains how to do this on your iPhone.

Rw
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks. Someone from smarty suggested taking the SIM out and inserting it again. This has worked - I now have 4g. Will tell my friends to do the same 😁

I am in Nottingham and reported the same problem here on 1st May. See the link:

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/29823

The solution which I found for myself on my Motorola Moto G8 was this.

Under Settings > Network > Mobile network, there is on option "4G calling" which says "Use 4G services to improve voice ..." and it is marked as "recommended". It was off. I turned it on, re-booted and the problem was resolved. If I turn it off, the problem comes back.

Yep - 3 turned off all their 3G masts. So now you can only call via 4G and 5G. My phone was set to 4G - but, seemed to have got stuck? Taking the SIM out and sticking it back in again did the job.

Smarty - next time something so big happens, please yet your customers know in advance. I was pulling my hair out.