cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with number transfer.

LeahLis_2418376
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

When I got my new SMARTY sim card, I went through the process of transferring my old phone number from my UW sim card. I received notification that the transfer had worked.

When receiving incoming calls and texts from my old UW phone number, they come through perfectly fine on my SMARTY sim card. 

The issue I'm having is that when I call others or send texts from my SMARTY sim card, the call/text suggests it's coming from the original number that was attached to my SMARTY sim card, making it very difficult for two-way communication. If people try and text the number that was originally on my SMARTY sim card, I do receive everything just fine, but it would be a pain to go and change my phone number everywhere, hence why I tried to transfer my old one.

Does anyone know any possible solutions? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@LeahLis_2418376  You say that your phone seems to have the correct number in its settings. I'm also assuming that your account dashboard shows the correct number.

That being the case, I wonder if you have suffered a 'split port' (painful 😱). This happens when not all parts of the process go through smoothly.

This may need a web chat with the Support Team.

View solution in original post

Just type "talk to a person" to avoid the bot, @LeahLis_2418376

Community members don't have access to customer accounts, so the web chat support agents are there to assist with account problems. They're available 8am - 8pm, everyday.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@LeahLis_2418376 This problem does turn up quite frequently.

You need to look at your phone settings because the phone is 'remembering' the original number that was allocated to the sim when it was activated.

For an iPhone, signing out of iMessage and FaceTime, checking My Number in Settings and then logging back into iMessage and FaceTime seems to usually do the trick.

For Android, I'm not sure, but imagine that you will at least need to look at Settings for something like My Number.

Hope this helps.

I am on android and while the setting does exist, it shows the old UW number I want to have and the problem is still happening.

Thank you for trying! 

Hey @LeahLis_2418376, have you tried the following steps, to fix the issue with text messages appearing to be from the original number allocated to your SMARTY SIM card?

1. Turn OFF RCS chats (“Chat features”) in the Google Messages app.
  2. Turn OFF the handset and carefully remove the SIM card.
  3. Check the SIM card is clean and undamaged, before re-inserting the SIM card.
  4. Turn ON the handset.
  5. Turn ON RCS chats.

🤞

None of this has worked either, thank you for trying! 

@LeahLis_2418376  You say that your phone seems to have the correct number in its settings. I'm also assuming that your account dashboard shows the correct number.

That being the case, I wonder if you have suffered a 'split port' (painful 😱). This happens when not all parts of the process go through smoothly.

This may need a web chat with the Support Team.

Yeahh the old UW number is showing on my dashboard. 

I tried using the web chat earlier but it was just a bot so I came here 😅

Just type "talk to a person" to avoid the bot, @LeahLis_2418376

Community members don't have access to customer accounts, so the web chat support agents are there to assist with account problems. They're available 8am - 8pm, everyday.  

Jitende_2568400
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I want change to my new number 

We would need more information - Are you trying to port your number from another network ?

@Jitende_2568400 When you activate a sim, you will automatically be allocated a new, random number. You can certainly keep that number if you wish, or else you can bring in a number from your previous provider once you have a PAC code from them.