cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

make huawei phone use 4g only

lukefow_2033993
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

my phone keeps getting stuck on 3g when 4g is avaliable, is there a way to make huawei phones only use 4g

10 REPLIES 10

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@lukefow_2033993,

I assume you have mobile data enabled.

Most Huawei phones will automatically default to 4g.  If your model doesn't you'll need to manually set it to 4g, through the your phones menus

there is no option for 4g only, i only have 

2g/3g/4g

2g/3g

3g only 

in my settings

Aren't Huawei handsets treated as suspect these days, as a result of worsening relations with China?

Your device might benefit from an Android update, but Huawei can't use Android beyond version 10, following an embargo by the US government.  

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@lukefow_2033993 Sounds obvious but maybe a few pointers (normally your phone will automatically connect to the strongest signal possible so toggling isn't strictly necessary):
- Is your Huawei device 4G compatible
- Are you in an area with 4G coverage, or is it weak? (you can check this using signal apps)
- Could there be congestion in your area, in which case the 3G maybe works better than the 4G

As mentioned by @Strandloper  perhaps it has been inadvertently set to '3G' in which case you should toggle this by going to Settings > Wifi & Network > Sim & Network > Preferred network type

my phone will stay on 3g until i restart it, then it immediately goes to 4g, it is not congestion or a network fault because it happens in every area

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Sorry if this is already known, but the 3G service on the SMARTY network is being phased-out by Three UK @lukefow_2033993

Three are currently turning-off 3G services in areas across the UK as they plan to turn-off 3G by end of 2024. So come 2025, your handset will have to use 4G or 5G for mobile services on the Three UK network.

@lukefow_2033993,

Easy answer here.

Set phone to 2g/3g/4g.

The phone will then select the strongest (and most steady) signal in the area you are in!

it is already set to that

thats good, my phone will have no choice but to use 4g then

lukefow_2033993
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

i have finally found a way to lock the phone to 4g, i downloaded an app that allowed me to edit some hidden settings, the phone is now locked on 4g forever. now my connection will be fast and secure