cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change from data-only to a regular plan

GeoffL
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

A few months ago, I got a Smarty SIM for use in a mifi router and elected for a 40GB@£13/month plan that is currently off auto-renew (i.e. expired). A friend told me he has a regular plan for his mifi device and I see that I can get 100GB for £12/month that way. However, there seems to be no way to switch from data-only to a regular plan and so I've obtained a second SIM but can't activate it. I suspect that starting a group and adding the second SIM will be problematic because (1) my original SIM plan has expired and (2) the original SIM will be the 'owner', which cannot be removed from the account. What's the easiest way to switch plans?

Thanks for looking, Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Geoff,

Take a deep breath and step back, you are at risk of over complicating things for yourself, fella.

ALL Smarty SIMs have a phone number assigned to them, even data only plans. They wouldn’t work otherwise. 

The data only SIMs merely have the calls and texting functionality switched off.

All you need to do is start a webchat with a Smarty agent, who can switch on the calls and texts functionality on for you,  and then your data only SIM will become a regular everyday SIM. 

If your data only SIM has been in use within the last six months, it isn’t expired - Smarty allow you to pause plans for up to six months before accounts and SIMs expire. 

Cheers,

Jeff

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Geoff,

Take a deep breath and step back, you are at risk of over complicating things for yourself, fella.

ALL Smarty SIMs have a phone number assigned to them, even data only plans. They wouldn’t work otherwise. 

The data only SIMs merely have the calls and texting functionality switched off.

All you need to do is start a webchat with a Smarty agent, who can switch on the calls and texts functionality on for you,  and then your data only SIM will become a regular everyday SIM. 

If your data only SIM has been in use within the last six months, it isn’t expired - Smarty allow you to pause plans for up to six months before accounts and SIMs expire. 

Cheers,

Jeff

GeoffL
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks for the response. However, I fear your info is incorrect because, if you click on the "info" icon for the Data Only plans at https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans, the popup that appears contains the following text: "Note: Data Only plans cannot be switched or upgraded to Voice plans or Money Back plans just yet." I assume that includes via a Smarty agent.

Besides that, I tried to contact Customer Services via the Chat facility a few days ago, but the system closed my conversation before I had time to finish typing my query. At that point, I gave up on Chat as a viable means of obtaining support ...

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeoffL  I'm not totally sure what exact info you want as you appear to be certain that you cannot change this sim to a voice+data plan.

You can start a group with the second sim. once activated and then form a group by inviting in the original sim. The second sim would therefore surely be the owner.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

My response to you was accepted as a solution by @Rebekah_150 who is a moderator on this forum, so yes, it will work.

Maybe @Rebekah_150 can help you.

By the way, the link you posted doesn’t work :

IMG_0798.jpeg

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey, you can speak to our chat team here, https://smarty.co.uk/contact and one of our advisors will be more than happy to help, available daily from 8am – 8pm.

Hi and thanks for the response. FWIW, I tried to use the chat twice and twice the system closed the communication before I'd managed to finish typing my query. As I need the new SIM activated before your agents were available today, I've implemented a work-around that I didn't really want to use and it's now up and running. Thanks again, Geoff

GeoffL
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I can only go on what Smarty themselves post on their product page. I've included a screenshot of that info note FYI. On investigation, it appears the reason you couldn't access that page is that the forum server included the punctuation comma that is part of the address.

Twice I tried to use the chat feature; twice the system timed out my attempt to communicate and closed the conversation before I'd managed to finish typing my query. With hindsight, perhaps I should have typed my query in a text editor and used cut-and-paste. That said, even then there were no guarantees, and I needed the new SIM activated by today.

@MSF -- I tried your idea. FWIW, I'd already tried before my OP, but I couldn't activate the new SIM from my existing account and so that was a non-starter 😞

However, I've now implemented a work-around that I really didn't want to use: I created a new account with a different email address while activating the new SIM as a 'new user'. I really wanted to use the original email address, but couldn't figure out how to do that as Smarty won't even let me delete my account on demand. I just now need to wait six months for the system to automatically delete my old (this) account -- at which point, I can hopefully change the email address on my new account...

GeoffL_0-1692533312692.png

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

@GeoffL Smarty’s own add ons allow you to make calls and texts on a data only plan :

IMG_0801.jpeg

It should be quite simple. All I want to do is change my plan to data only

Thank you

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeoffL   You have had spot-on advice from @JJP2 

Same sim, different plan is the case. Step away from the second sim!!

BarryMay_623213
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I have a plan now 2 gig calls and Text. All i need to do is change it do sim only, how do I do it please.