cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come the Honor Magic4 Lite 5G doesn't support 4G Calling on SMARTY?

Jack0x
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi 

So this device has the capabilites as I have tested this with an EE sim, and VoLTE comes up but on SMARTY it doesn't?

The list doesn't even display its compatible, but shows the 4G version is? What's that about? I paid a bit for a device for it to be nothing but useless after 2024's 3G shutdown. It also doesn't support WiFi Calling whilst the 4G version does... 

That baffles me, can anyone explain that to me?

Thanks! 😊

4 REPLIES 4

Redflag
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

It's the same with Xperia 1 it's other networks support them but Smarty doesn't. I'm guessing it's down to buying the code to enable them.

Jack0x
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Its got the hardware for the functions, just not enabled.

That's bizarre to me. Honestly imagine spending £800+ on a top end Android device, get home and then find out its not officially supported on SMARTY. That's a straight up scam. 

Have you managed to glean any info from Smarty about this? I'm planning on getting one of the recent Motorola Moto G range phones and cant find out if it will work before purchasing it.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Perhaps the list is out-of-date @Jack0x

Three used to call their 4G Calling (VoLTE) service 4G Super-Voice - maybe they still do.

As SMARTY don't sell handsets, one assumes they're reliant on compatibility testing from Three. It seems most of the UK mobile network operators aren't great at keeping their compatibility lists updated - they're often selling handsets not listed on their device compatibility lists.

Another thing to consider - because Honor is Huawei's budget brand, any products will be stuck with an old version of Android, while the US sanctions against Huawei remain.