cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the S23 Ultra been cerifield for Wifi Calling/Volte?

Defiant1337
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Has this been certified yet because I keep having people complain of poor call quility over VOLTE, my house has a poor mobile signal so I really depend on Volte working correctly 

11 REPLIES 11

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4237414-which-devices-are-compatible-with-wifi-calling

This is the list one the Smarty website and your phone is not showing as being supported by Smarty currently.

I can see that it is supported on some networks. Worth checking that page regularly to check if it has been added. That said, it is not a cast-iron guarantee that it will work - others on the forum have complained about some phones not working on wifi calling despite being on the list.

OMG so they don't support the Samsung flagship phone, crikey I've got to change networks

Well, that's what the printed list says, but I guess you wouldn't know for sure until you tried it with your sim.

Unless you know a friend/family member who has one, that could be a problem I suppose.

Which network would you use @Defiant1337?

All the UK mobile networks appear to be pretty relaxed about keeping up-to-date lists of what devices are supported on their network. They often fail to add latest handsets to their list.

Vodafone, as you said Smarty/Three are pretty much the slowest network to do anything

I guess if Vodafone list the Galaxy S23 Ultra as being supported on their network for 4G Calling and WiFi Calling, using Vodafone would provide some level of reassurance.

It'd be interesting to see how Vodafone support responded if you reported call quality issues while using their WiFi Calling service.

Vodafone's latest consumer terms & conditions have a couple of noteworthy tough luck clauses:

A) Service Terms >  DURING YOUR AGREEMENT WITH US > Using the services.

You’re responsible for ensuring that the equipment that you use is compatible with our services.

A) Service Terms >  DURING YOUR AGREEMENT WITH US > Problems with our services. 

We’ll provide our services with reasonable skill and care. However, our services are not fault-free and are not available everywhere in the UK. Please check the predicted coverage in your area at https://www.vodafone.co.uk/coverage. There are a number of reasons why you may find problems with the services and these include moving home or work, weather conditions, damage to our network, the number of people using the network and so on. Please contact us if you experience a service issue and we’ll attempt to fix it.

It's a case of best endeavours.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Unfortunately @Defiant1337, SMARTY Mobile and their parent Three UK are woefully slow/inefficient at keeping lists of compatible devices up-to-date. 

Nevertheless, if Three UK are selling this handset on contract, it's safe to assume it'll work with VoLTE (4G Calling). Likewise for WiFi Calling service - useful if you've got a poor signal indoors at home.

Three UK are currently turning OFF their 3G network across the UK - works are scheduled for completion by end of 2024. Without 3G your handset must be capable of 4G Calling (VoLTE), otherwise you won't be able to make/receive calls on your mobile phone. VoLTE and WiFi Calling go hand-in-hand, as they both rely on your mobile network operator's IMS back-end technology.

My phone does say its connected (icon of phone and wifi) but people complain of really bad call quality to the point I have to spend most of the call repeating myself and shouting, before this I had an iphone 13 pro max and calls over wifi were fine

Maybe you can tweak the IP settings on your Wi-Fi router to improve the call quality over Wi-Fi @Defiant1337.

I rely on the WiFi Calling service at home, living in a mobile not-spot. Call quality can be variable sometimes, and I've found just changing position slightly can have a dramatic impact.

With so many using IP telephony these days, without necessarily using properly optimised setting on their VoIP networks, call quality could suffer.

Finally, I can't help feeling Samsung are more interested in the photographic capabilities of their premium handsets, which means call quality plays second-fiddle. My daughter and wife use Galaxy S10 handsets, which are more than good enough for pictures, et cetera, yet deliver an excellent call quality.

Have Samsung lost their way - smartphones still needs to make telephone calls?

No as stated it worked fine on the iphone before and the router is working fine with a strong wifi signal.

Also you might be right about Samsung BUT this is a Snapdragon chipset with their modem so nothing to do with Samsung

The iPhone hardware and software aren't Qualcomm, so your Samsung S23 may behave differently, given the hardware platform differences and Samsung's take on Android.

I guess the modem's handling mobile network radio signals, but probably not the Wi-Fi networking.

Does your broadband router support Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 7 protocols. Perhaps the S23 isn't great if it needs to work in backward compatibility modes to use the home Wi-Fi network and SMARTY's WiFi Calling service.