cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling

HowardG_1808889
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have a OnePlus Nord 2t (dual sim). With my Three SIM I can use wi-fi calling. I expected to be able to do the same with my new Smarty SIM, however, it does not work.  If I switch on Airplane mode and switch wi-fi back on the Three SIM can make calls, the Smarty SIM cannot. I've tried swapping the Sims over to different slots. Am I missing something? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks for looking.

10 REPLIES 10

Wardysays
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Just done a quick Google search and it is available and steps to turn it on.

As this is a customer community I would recommend speaking with customer services via the live chat in the SMARTY app. If you use the app you don’t need to be active and messages come through as notifications. 

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

As I understand it (and I could certainly be wrong here🙄), your phone will only choose wi-fi calling if the normal signal is weak.

Once wifi calling is enabled in the Settings on the phone, then my Smarty SIM makes the choice if necessary. While there is a decent signal, this would obviously not be necessary and it would therefore appear not to be working.

I have just checked this on my iPhone and it does seem to work with my Smarty SIM.

Unfortunately the smarty sim will preference the network over wifi. So if you have terrible signal (which is common on three outside of the major cities) then it will constantly flit between wifi and cell and cause more problems.

Other providers like EE allow you to set a preference for wifi and thus work perfectly.

I can't agree about the signal being terrible outside major cities as this is not my personal experience and I am nowhere near a major city.

It does seem logical that the sim will default to the network.

dadoffour
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

My wife has a OnePlus Nord 2 5G with the exact same issue as the OP -  when I contacted SMARTY over the issue about 6 months ago, I was advised that the phone wasn't compatible for WIFI calling on SMARTY and that it MAY be provisioned some time in the future, which to me is a bit of an awful response.  Surely WIFI calling should be available to any and all phones that has the feature built in?  And I don't understand why it would be such a problem when other phones will work that aren't on the compatible list, including my children's cheap Motorola Handsets, my old Samsung S9+ and my new iPhone 12 Pro Max.  This is a big issue for my wife as we do not get a mobile signal unless we are within 3-4 feet from the windows of our home and so she has to rely on WIFI calling to make use of her mobile phone.   Upto now, we have had to use third party services, namely Whatsapp, to make calls to her when she is at home as that is the only way the phone will work without a signal.   As a result, SMARTY are going to lose a customer as we need to move my wifes mobile from the network to one which allows the OnePlus Nord 2T 5G to work with WIFI calling just so she can use the minutes and data that she has been paying for but is unable to use whilst at home (unless she stands outside).   

There are plenty of pitfalls with mobile telephony, and none of the UK mobile networks are perfect. The Galaxy S9+ and iPhone 12 Pro Max are both shown as being compatible with SMARTY's Wi-Fi Calling service. 

In the past, I've also experienced frustration trying to use Wi-Fi Calling, and switched from Android to iPhone because all the UK network operators support Wi-Fi Calling when you're using an iPhone. As I live in a mobile not-spot, I rely on using Wi-Fi Calling at home.

I used to have the original OnePlus Nord and when my Smarty SIM was in there the Wifi-Calling worked as desired - you can also dial *#*#4636#*# which will open your 'Phone Information' screen and from there you can check whether 1) Wifi-calling and 2) VoLTE are provisioned (enabled). If the toggle is off you should be able to switch it on (assuming it is not greyed out). 

Meerkat
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I feel your pain... I have a Motorola G30 that can do WIFI calling on Smarty. It's not on the Smarty Compatibility List. The Smarty Compatibility List is out of date and only shows the really expensive phones that I can't afford to buy Sim Free.

There are lots of cheaper phone that can do wifi calling but some work with Smarty and some don't.

I would like to get a newer phone but Smarty are unable to give me a specific specification that a phone requires to do wifi calling on their network. I have spent days on this. No one (Smarty, Motorola) can tell me what a phone needs inside for it to be able to do wifi calling on Smarty (WIFI Calling is available in the phones, Some Work Some Don't)

In my opinion this is pathetic and unprofessional that Smarty don't know what specific specification a phone actually needs in a phone for it to be able to do wifi calling on their network. ☹️

• I’m not sure why you would expect a company like Smarty to guarantee a  range of products made by other companies. Who is to say that the phone makers share all necessary information?

The devices listed are devices we have tested, if your device isn't listed, it may still have Wi-Fi calling capability but as we haven't tested it and can't guarantee it'll work.