cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting and International Mobile Number

dleeh456
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Is there any way I can sort my Smarty SIM on my UK mobile so that I can send Texts back to a US mobile number? I am receiving messages but can't reply 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

You need to add some credit to your account. Texts to US numbers are chargeable.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

You need to add some credit to your account. Texts to US numbers are chargeable.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

What @WelshPaul says.

Also, if you and the person(s) in the USA whom you are texting were to use WhatsApp, Signal or Telegram, the text messages would be free and only use a small amount of data.

dleeh456
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thanks...I use WhatsApp but the contact in US is an older lady and only uses. text so sounds like adding credit is the right way to go . Thanks 

ChrisKempt
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Honestly, not super-impressed with this. The error returned is crazily vague, the link in it just goes to the account page and the resolution was far too hard to find.

@ChrisKempt  The original post involves the OP trying to send a text to an INTERNATIONAL number. As that isn't included in any smarty plan, you need to add credit as an add on to pay for it. The cost of this type of call/text is given in the Price Guide.

If you are struggling to add credit to your account, have you tried the web page rather than the app? If there is still a problem, then you would need a web chat with the Support team so that they can check your account.

ChrisKempt
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

This is the error I received which isn't helpful:

"Sorry, but we haven't been able to connect you to this service as it isn't included in your plan. To find out how to, go to https://go.smarty.uk/SMARTY/ZYMfDl

Also the link just takes you to the login page which isn't helpful either.

@ChrisKempt  Once you log in at that page, you can purchase the necessary add on as you will be in your account.

Again, I understand that *now* but there's no way I could have understood that from the error message and when you login you're just taken straight to the dashboard.

@ChrisKempt  Sorry, then it must be me! It says the service is not included in your plan - this indicates that you need credit to pay - and then takes you to log into your account, where you get the option to buy an add in.

I'm not sure how  else they could put it really.

If you think of  useful piece of text to replace the message, send it in as  suggestion maybe.

Reply below:

ChrisKempt
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

The error message didn't come through immediately so - at first - it wasn't clear that it related to that. Additionally it was triggered by a group chat in which I couldn't tell that one of the participants was in the US (as iMessage on the Mac supports group messaging between iOS/Android users).

As for a more useful message I'd suggest:

"International texts aren't covered by your plan, please add credit to your account." and, ideally, add a link that actually goes to further information.

@ChrisKempt  Doesn't iMessage work on data rather than SMS?

Your suggested text sounds fair enough - why not send it in?

Not if there are android users in the group, those users get SMS instead.

Where would I send it?

@ChrisKempt 

I don't know much about Adenoid users - interesting!

I would be inclined to send your suggestion initially as a complaint solely because I think that those bypass the Support Team (it's above their pay grade I think).

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!