Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving texts/SMS

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hello! 👋

I've been facing an issue for some time now and have tried using the "Live chat" support option without success. I'm hoping someone else has encountered a similar problem and might have a solution.

The issue: I'm unable to receive any texts/SMS (RCS works fine).

Up to the 24th of October, I had no problems with texts/SMS. This issue emerged after I changed my mobile plan on October 25th and since then, I can't receive texts anymore. I have tried the SIM card into three different phones (two Android and one iPhone), but unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem.

I have contacted "Live chat" and the agent told me that he has raised the issue and I should wait for a resolution within 24-48 hours. However, it has now been more than 50 hours, and there has been no improvement.
The response from the support team indicates that they find no issues on their end and suggest that I check with the senders of the texts.
I can't even receive verification codes so can't login into services like PayPal, Google or even my work.

The agent has requested phone numbers from the senders, but I am unable to provide them for two reasons:
1. Certain companies, like Smarty, only display their name, not their actual phone number when sending verification codes.
2. I have no way of knowing who (individual, not a company) is sending me a text, as I am not receiving any.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Accessing my work application is crucial, and the current situation is making it impossible. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

22 REPLIES 22

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Dracuglia  Sounds quite a complex problem. Is there any chance that you purchased a 'data only' plan? Check your dashboard.

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@MSF Thanks for your reply.

I've double-checked just to be sure. The existing plan, which is still active, includes "Unlimited Text".
The new plan is described as follows: "This is a Voice plan which includes data, unlimited calls and texts. Your plan change will come into effect when your current plan resets on 09-11-2023.".

@Dracuglia  Definitely warrants a web chat with Support Team in that case.

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@MSF Unfortunately, I have tried the Support Team route without success.

Their response is: "Kindly share the fresh time stamps as requested in below notes. As we would need specific details apart from the one's shared last night. NOTE : Test logs shouldn't be older than 24 hours.

Please clearly mention the affected MSISDN.

A PARTY MSISDN:

B PARTY MSISDN:

Date :

Time :

Error Message:

Please provide us the details in given format to investigate it further."

I can't provide "B PARTY MSISDN" as companies, like Smarty, only display their name, not their actual phone number when sending verification codes and "Error Message" is another one I can't provide as I am receiving, not sending.

Hey I can understand if you are having issue providing all of the details but if you can provide what details you are able the team will do everything they can

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@Rebekah_150 Thanks for your reply.

I have. The issue is still present and honestly, I think my only option will be to give up on Smarty as it gave up on me.

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Another week went by and I still can't receive texts. Tried web chat without any luck.
Don't know what else I can do so, unfortunately, I must leave Smarty.

@Dracuglia  Have you tried raising it as a complaint?

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Yes. Didn't help.

Kathryn_2340020
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Me too

Any luck? I still have the issue.
I've delayed my leave as much as I could but today is the day I must leave.
It's been over one month and I am left without options.

Geo_2801
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I am having the exact same problem - anyone found any solution? customer support is very poor

Renalda_2426513
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I am having same issue not receiving texts/SMS, spent few hours on live chat. Was doing what they were asking to do nothing help i even tried different phones android and iPhone same issue so its defo not phone. i reset my phone to factory setting rested and rest everything. Now i cannt log in anywhere as it required verification through SMS. and I am not receiving sms cant evening log in into my bank as they required OTP, log code sopek with bank no issue from they end, log in to my work email, paypal, person emails they all required verification code which are sent to my phone, list can go on.  from chat i can see they dont know what is the issue. so might just give up and move somewhere else

Dracuglia
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@Renalda_2426513 @Geo_2801 @Kathryn_2340020
Hello!
I was wondering if your number was previously transferred from Vectone Mobile.
Mine was ported from Vectone to Smarty more than two years ago.

Vectone is no longer operating in the UK and since they have ceased, my issue appeared.

Hello, i was with them originally few year ago, then i moved to giffgaff and just last month moved to smarty, and issue started. At the moment everything is linked to this phone number my work email, paypal, bank cant access to anything as everywhere they sending verification SMS to my phone and because not receiving SMS cant do anything, it very frustrating. Did smarty manged sort your issue or just need move away from them? 

@Renalda_2426513  The SMS that you refer to, do they come from short code numbers? If so, Smarty currently does not support that system.

As a check, see if you can receive a text from another standard mobile number e.g. friend/family.

I referring to text message (SMS) not imesages from friends and family. i tried with family asked text to normal sms me they cant send message to me at all they tried send message (sms) to my partner and it work but not to me. I tried my sim card with different phone (iphone and android) as i thought maybe my phone (new) is faulty. and no different same issue, asked my family send me normal SMS but still they wasnt able sent it looks like. strangest thing is they receiving my message but i don't and now its a almost a week without resolving this issue cant access to any of my email, ebay, paypal, outlook email, as they all required verification code which is sent to my phone by SMS, it did work week ago and now nothing. and no one giving me update how long it will take,

@Renalda_2426513 Yes, you have answered my question. I was wondering if it was SMS only from some numbers that did not get through.

Have you explained this problem via a web chat with the Support Team?

If nobody knows yet what the problem is, that will explain why they cannot tell you how long it will take to sort it. It does seem unusual especially as you are able to send text messages.

yes i did explained. now it will be a week without any update or advise how long it will take. it is big issue for me as not receiving text messages, cant access anywhere as everything is linked to my phone number all recovery password sent to my phone and don't have other option, limit access to bank as required very fiction through OTP code spoke with bank and they cant do anything till you guys sort the issue. its become critical get text messages. I just need advise how long it will take as cant wait a month and they tell me cant be sorted

@Renalda_2426513 I think you may be missing a point here when you say "you guys".

We are not Smarty staff - we are customers like you on the Community Forum. We cannot see what is wrong with your account and that is why I suggested the Support team. If you are not getting a response, then raise a Complaint via the website and it should go further.

DE_SmartyUser
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have the same problem because my number was part of a block originally allocated to Vectone. Even though I have never used them and the number has been ported to other providers over the year, apparently Vectone still handle some aspects of routing messages.

I cannot receive SMS texts from O2 and EE phones and its frustrating because I don't get to know that I'm not receiving them and the sender rarely gets an error message.

Smarty support are very poor and I've been going around in circles. They now tell me that they can't do anything other than offer to change my number, but that is not possible for me because of things my number is linked to.

It seems strange that Ofcom can't intervene. An operator going under cannot be allowed to leave consumers stranded with no service?

@DE_SmartyUser You say that "Smarty support are very poor" - I'm not sure what you think they are able to do other than change your number.

You say that Ofcom can't intervene - have you tried to contact them? It would help if you can show evidence from Smarty that they cannot do anything.

Surely, it would be better to change your number and then send this to relevant contacts - particularly if you now know the numbers that are failing to get through to you. Yes, I realise that it is inconvenient, but wouldn't it give you a one-time solution and peace of mind?