cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 14 and sim not working

IslaSinc_307785
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’ve just moved to a new iPhone 14 and my existing sim won’t work. I understand the iPhone 14 uses eSim which Smarty doesn’t offer but have seen posts from others who seem to have successfully used their iPhone 14 with Smarty. Am I missing something or do I need to move to another provider who offers eSim compatibility? Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@IslaSinc_307785  Your iPhone should certainly work with the standard smarty nano sim. An esim is a different (and extra) sim that can be used with the phone and will be issued by a network (currently not smarty as you have already found).

Perhaps remove the sim and gently clean it. Check that you are putting it in the tray correctly and reinsert. If it still doesn't work, you can get a replacement from Smarty: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1215834-what-to-do-if-your-sim-card-gets-lost-or-stolen but be aware that your account will be frozen for your security until you activate the replacement.

It is also worth trying the sim in another phone if possible to rule out a sim fault.

I have the UK version of the phone, bought direct from Apple. I swapped the SIM from my existing iPhone 11 into the new iPhone 14, restarted etc and nothing happens. I’ll try your suggestion above and if not, see if a new SIM will work.  Thanks. 

Are you using the latest iOS on your iPhone 14 @IslaSinc_307785

If not, might be worth upgrading the iOS on your handset. 

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

The US version of the iPhone 14 only supports eSIM, not physical SIMs. The UK version supports both eSIM and physical SIMs. So as long as you haven't bought the US version, you should have no problems using Smarty. If you have, you won't be able to use Smarty, unfortunately.

I have the UK version of the phone, bought direct from Apple. I swapped the SIM from my existing iPhone 11 into the new iPhone 14, restarted etc and nothing happens. Will give it another go. Thanks. 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

@SmartyTrousers is correct, the US version of the iPhone 14 is eSIM only. 

Versions of the iPhone 14 on sale outside the US support both physical SIM and eSIM.

Presumably, you have the US version of the iPhone 14, so you won’t be able to use Smarty, as they don’t currently offer eSIM. In fact, the only UK networks offering eSIM are Vodafone, O2 , EE and relatively new eSIM compatible LycaMobile. 

With the exception of LycaMobile, the other networks only offer eSIM to long term monthly contract customers, not pay as you go customers. You would be able to get a SIM only deal from them, probably for a minimum duration of 1 year.

The other complication you have is that, with the exception of LycaMobile and Vodafone, you obtain an eSIM via a “SIM swap”, meaning you are given a physical SIM first, which the network then swaps to an eSIM….Hopefully, networks’ stores make this a five minute job. 

During a recent trip to Arizona, I bought a new iPhone 13 mini, eschewing the offered iPhone 14 range by staff in the Apple Store in Scottsdale, precisely because the US variants of the iPhone 14 are eSIM only.

Also, supposedly, Apple make it easy and simple to transfer eSIMs between iPhones, with eSIMs just transferring from one phone to another. Not in my experience if you look at the attached screenshot. 

Whilst some people stateside are happy with an eSIM only iPhone 14, a considerable amount of people actually bought the phone through Canadian distributors, as the iPhone 14 on sale in Canada does have physical SIM and eSIM capabilities.

IMG_0543.jpeg