Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian Holiday

Mickyh7
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi guys, new member,first post.

I'm off to India next week for a holiday.

Hopefully to see a wild Tiger!

I won't need to use my phone at all, except for WiFi in the hotels, so I'll use WhatsApp for messages and calls.

What do I need to change please so I don't loose all my money/data.

Roaming off I guess, but anything else?

Many thanks

Mick.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Mickyh7  Airplane mode on. You can only use up money if you have credit on your account, so don't add too much (perhaps leave enough for an emergency where you need to make a call.

If you are only using wifi wherever you find it, then you shouldn't need to change any settings. It should be similar to logging onto wifi when you visit somewhere in the UK e.g. hotels, shops etc.

(You only ever need to change the APN setting if you intend roaming overseas.)

View solution in original post

Mickyh7
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

That's all I need to know.

They will be all 5* to 7* hotels on this guided holiday, so dhould be good wifi.

I don't do video calls anyway, too old fashioned!

Happy Days, many thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Mickyh7  Airplane mode on. You can only use up money if you have credit on your account, so don't add too much (perhaps leave enough for an emergency where you need to make a call.

If you are only using wifi wherever you find it, then you shouldn't need to change any settings. It should be similar to logging onto wifi when you visit somewhere in the UK e.g. hotels, shops etc.

(You only ever need to change the APN setting if you intend roaming overseas.)

Mickyh7
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Brilliant, thank you.

So Airplane mode on at all times, until I'm in a free WiFi area.

Thanks for that.

@Mickyh7 Airplane mode stops your phone trying to connect to a mobile network. If you had credit on your account and didn't turn to airplane mode, then someone calling you could cause a 'chargeable event' and lose you money. Equally, your phone could start to use (chargeable) data in picking up emails etc.

Mickyh7
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

So since I don't want to use my phone.

I only want to use WhatsApp for 10 days because everything is then free. When I have free WiFi in the various hotels

I should leave airplane mode on and keep wifi switched on?

Is that it?

Thanks

@Mickyh7 Sounds good to me! Only problem you may encounter is if the hotels have a limited wifi bandwidth (Will maybe depend upon the hotels you choose - some will charge extra for super wifi)). This can make a full WhatsApp video call difficult, but should work better with voice only.

Mickyh7
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

That's all I need to know.

They will be all 5* to 7* hotels on this guided holiday, so dhould be good wifi.

I don't do video calls anyway, too old fashioned!

Happy Days, many thanks