cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only SIM apn settings for mobile router

garyMcc_1114201
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Could someone tell me the correct. Settings to setting up a data only SIM with a 4G router

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SimonGuru
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

To configure an APN for 4G LTE Modem:

1. Launch a web browser from a device that is connected to the modem. The device can be a computer that is directly connected to the modem or a client from a router that is connected to the modem.
  2. In the address field of your web browser, enter http://192.168.5.1.
  3. In the Sign In field, enter the modem password and click the Sign In button. The default password is password (case-sensitive).
  4. Select Settings > Mobile > APN.
  5. To add a custom APN profile, click the Add button.
  6. Enter the settings for the new APN profile and click the Save button.
    You have successfully configured an APN for your 4G LTE Modem
  7. Or Just use a spare phone cheap one or your phone and set up as a mobile hotspot as if you have smart tech ie camera or using lots of devices connected to your router then you will be sucking data like mad 

I have a tplink 4g router that you can plug a dongle in like a USB stick but it has a sim in that you plug in the USB port of the router and then at least you can keep a eye out on data usage and also remove the dongle to use whilst travelling they are quiet cheap from amazon or ebay and just make sure you get on that is unlocked or compatible with the 3 network that smarty uses 

Hope It Helps 

Simon 

Regards
Simon

View solution in original post

bf1-1
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

The settings you want are listed in this help article:

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1982022-windows-apn-settings

I'll reproduce them here because the formatting isn't very obvious as to which settings you need:

Access Point Name: mob.asm.net
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Proxy Address: leave blank
Proxy Port: leave blank
Network Type Preset: IPv4
Authentication Type: none

I bought my 4g LTE usb modem new off eBay and I was only able to get it to connect when I changed the Network Type Preset (or "PDP Type" in my router settings) to "IPv4/IPv6". When I had it selected as "IPv4" from the drop-down menu, it wouldn't connect, and I tried for ages, but as soon as I changed it to "IPv4/IPv6", the icon in the router display changed to "4g online" and I was able to start browsing youtube. I was sat in my car in a Greggs car park with my Windows 10 laptop connected via ethernet at the time (my usb dongle connects as ethernet as it's plugged directly into my laptop).

Here's my screenshot of the working settings:

4G LTE modem APN settings

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SimonGuru
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

To configure an APN for 4G LTE Modem:

1. Launch a web browser from a device that is connected to the modem. The device can be a computer that is directly connected to the modem or a client from a router that is connected to the modem.
  2. In the address field of your web browser, enter http://192.168.5.1.
  3. In the Sign In field, enter the modem password and click the Sign In button. The default password is password (case-sensitive).
  4. Select Settings > Mobile > APN.
  5. To add a custom APN profile, click the Add button.
  6. Enter the settings for the new APN profile and click the Save button.
    You have successfully configured an APN for your 4G LTE Modem
  7. Or Just use a spare phone cheap one or your phone and set up as a mobile hotspot as if you have smart tech ie camera or using lots of devices connected to your router then you will be sucking data like mad 

I have a tplink 4g router that you can plug a dongle in like a USB stick but it has a sim in that you plug in the USB port of the router and then at least you can keep a eye out on data usage and also remove the dongle to use whilst travelling they are quiet cheap from amazon or ebay and just make sure you get on that is unlocked or compatible with the 3 network that smarty uses 

Hope It Helps 

Simon 

Regards
Simon

So I tried to save a few quid by getting a second sim with voice and data. Is this incompatible with my 4g LTE router? Should I have ordered a data only sim?

@Nichola_2219004 It should not make any difference as far as I am aware.

bf1-1
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

The settings you want are listed in this help article:

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1982022-windows-apn-settings

I'll reproduce them here because the formatting isn't very obvious as to which settings you need:

Access Point Name: mob.asm.net
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Proxy Address: leave blank
Proxy Port: leave blank
Network Type Preset: IPv4
Authentication Type: none

I bought my 4g LTE usb modem new off eBay and I was only able to get it to connect when I changed the Network Type Preset (or "PDP Type" in my router settings) to "IPv4/IPv6". When I had it selected as "IPv4" from the drop-down menu, it wouldn't connect, and I tried for ages, but as soon as I changed it to "IPv4/IPv6", the icon in the router display changed to "4g online" and I was able to start browsing youtube. I was sat in my car in a Greggs car park with my Windows 10 laptop connected via ethernet at the time (my usb dongle connects as ethernet as it's plugged directly into my laptop).

Here's my screenshot of the working settings:

4G LTE modem APN settings

bf1-1
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

4G LTE usb modem APN settings

Having same problem with an Huawei mobile wifi device. 

GinaJOL_1367577
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks to all for trying to answer this. It's really hard to get Smarty Tech to understand that it's not a phone I'm setting up but a router on a data only SIM. I think I'll try the spare mobile idea, as I'm getting a bit fed up with Smarty and this might be the last few months I bother with them.

I’m going through the same it’s a nightmare, so frustrating, I’m going to ditch Smarty I can’t cope with the stress 😢

NigelNew
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Same problem for me.  Zyxel router and ZTE USB mobile data dongle.  The parameter that I seem to need is called "Dial String".  Anybodyany suggestions ?

N.B.  It is anoying that the Smarty page listed in January and March 2023 by SimonGuru and BF1-1 no longer exists !!

@NigelNew Did you follow the other solution and get to the Settings page for the router?

The significant thing is usually the APN

192.168.5.1 does not do anything on my network.  Instead 192.168.1.1 gets me to the settings page of the router and have sent this to Smarty support.  Limited response from them so far.

I have an APN from Smarty and have asked them for some other settings.  The most crucial seems to be "Dial String".   I tried leaving this setting blank, but my router gives an error message and will not work without a Dial String