cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I use an esim?

GaryPola_831823
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I'm travelling to Albania soon, outside the EU so can't use my regular smarty plan. I have found a website offering esims which seem like a good deal but I have two concerns.

1. Can I use an independent esim while having an account with smarty? I'm confused.

2. How can I tell if my Google pixel 4a phone is locked? I think it was bought pre 2022. The esim provider says phone needs to be carrier unlocked.

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GaryPola_831823 

1. Yes, on a phone that is compatible with E-sim you can still have the smarty plan as well. You normally tell the phone which to use via settings.

2. If you are using the phone on Smarty, then if locked,  it could only be locked to Three network (Smarty runs on that). Simplest way to check would be to put in a sim from any other network and see if it receives signal i.e. was unlocked. Did you not get details when you purchased the phone? A local phone shop could probably check - hopefully only for a small fee if any.

Linsey
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey! ๐Ÿค˜

In response to your question about using an independent eSIM with a Smarty account, the answer is yes! As MSF mentioned, the device needs to be eSIM compatible. You can easily switch between the SIMs in your device settings. 

If you're wondering whether your Google Pixel 4a phone is locked, here are a few things you can try out:

Insert a SIM Card from a Different Carrier:

Turn off your phone.
Remove the current SIM card.
Insert a SIM card from a different carrier.
Turn on your phone.
If your phone prompts you to enter an unlock code, it's likely locked to the original carrier.

IMEI Check Websites:

Visit a reputable IMEI check website (e.g., IMEI.info).
Enter your phone's IMEI number (Dial *#06# into your phones keypad to obtain this)
The website will provide information about whether your phone is locked or unlocked.

If you got your phone before 2022 and bought it straight from Google, chances are it's unlocked because Google typically sells their phones that way.

However, if you got it through a carrier, it may be locked to that specific carrier.

I hope this helps!!

Linsey ๐Ÿคœ๐Ÿค›

Thanks for the advice. I checked my phone on that IMEI website and that reckons not only is my phone not compatible for esim (despite the esim site saying it should be) it also says my phone is locked (despite me buying it directly from a shop as brand new). I'm assuming it is not compatible because the phone is locked? I originally had an EE sim when I bought the phone brand new. Does that mean I have to ask them to unlock it? I have about 6 weeks before I go away so I have a little time to test a sim from another supplier when I see a family member on a different network.