cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

APN settings for EU

Betty_Swollox
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

So the settings you change it says open '3' but mine says Smarty not 3 ? If I change it and restart phone it goes back to 'smarty' also the APN setting is already correct so will it work abroad am I good to go ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've got an iPhone device running iOS 17.3, @DavidCr_2353705

When I'm in the Settings > Mobile Service section, there's an area/section with the title "THREE". Within this section there an setting option "Mobile Data Network" - looking here you see the APN value, which should be "mob.asm.net", if you intend to use mobile data while you're abroad. 

Your calls and texts will work, whatever the APN value. 

The following forum articles should help: 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

LouisK
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @Betty_Swollox 

Providing you have entered the APN settings mentioned in this article then you should be good to go. If you're unsure if you have the correct settings though, please contact our web chat team here with a screenshot and they'll check these for you. 

Best wishes,

Louis
SMARTY

If I change the name from smarty to 3 it changes back to smarty after a phone restart, I did chat and send screenshot but to be honest they were useless.

I have the same issue. I agree the reply to your question was not the question you asked. I think Smarty as your APN should be OK but I'm not sure. 

That's Ok. I've been at EU few times and it's worked 

My new Smarty SIM also shows Smarty as the APN name, not 3.

Can I be cheeky and ask what you've got under APN Type on your mobile please? Apparently it should be blank to work in the EU, but mine says , default,mms,supl

Thanks.

Ivan

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

In your Settings, have you got the Mobile Data as mob.asm.net and mms as three.co.uk ?

If so, all should be well.

Is everything working when you follow the article recommendation? If so, all is well.

So it doesn't matter that the name is Smarty? All the other settings are correct already do most phones already have the correct APN and not needed to change anything? 

sarahhoare40
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I am unable to change the APN settings on my Android phone - it is all greyed out. Mine seems to be locked to Name 3.  APN three.co.uk  MMSC: mms.um.three.co.uk10021/mmsc

Will I be able to make calls and texts from abroad please?

That is what my iphone is showing and it certainly does work when abroad.

You should be fine.

Okay @sarahhoare40, SMARTY have an online article saying the APN needs to be changed in order to use mobile data overseas.

The article is at: 
https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/2045715-setting-up-your-android-device-to-work-abroad 

Sometimes the Wi-Fi must be turned OFF, and Mobile Data turned ON, before you can edit the settings referred to in the above article.

MikeHor_1381530
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just give a headsup. When you use a smart phone the APN is automatically set by the Provider Sim. I have been trying to set up for the EU on my Mobile dongle, to use you have to change the APN maually to <mob.asm.net> I have changed it so it is always on smarty, I am managed to do this and set it as default. I am pleased to report that it works OK now in the UK and also the EU, I assume thats also anywhere, Hope that helps.

Yes, 'mob.asm.net' will indeed work worldwide ๐Ÿ‘

DavidCr_2353705
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Mine is showing the same .. instead of "3" it say "Smarty Internet" ..i hope this is OK for abroad 

@DavidCr_2353705 I don't think that will make any difference as long as APN is set to mob.asm.net

ThNks for your reply .. I had been speaking on chat but to be honest they don't have a clue ..they told me various things to do but it always remained the same ..they said they will escalate my problem and someone will get back to me .. when I first put the sim into the phone back in November went to Spain it said "3" and worked no problem .  Now I noticed it has changed to "Smarty Internet" .  Am going off again for a month and I really need 100% guarantee it will work abroad 

@DavidCr_2353705 I have certainly managed EU roaming on a number of occasions without problem.

As for 100% guarantee........I don't think such a beast exists anywhere !!!!

As I said I used this same SIM in November in Spain without a problem but the name has since changed from "3" now saying " Smarty Internet"  it's this change that I am not happy with ..why suddenly change ..I have tried it in another phone but still saying " Smarty Internet" .  I know nothing is 100% when abroad using a phone .  I travel a lot always been on O2 with no problem abroad and in Novber on Smarty no problem but then it said "3"  ..it's this change of name I want to enquire why has it happened ..thks 

Don't understand why the APN settings of a SMARTY Mobile SIM card would be labeled as "3", @DavidCr_2353705

Assuming the SIM card was supplied by SMARTY Mobile, then an APN settings label "Smarty Internet" seems logical.

Either way, whatever the label of the APN settings, a SMARTY Mobile SIM card should have an APN value "mob.asm.net" (in APN settings).

I've got an iPhone device running iOS 17.3, @DavidCr_2353705

When I'm in the Settings > Mobile Service section, there's an area/section with the title "THREE". Within this section there an setting option "Mobile Data Network" - looking here you see the APN value, which should be "mob.asm.net", if you intend to use mobile data while you're abroad. 

Your calls and texts will work, whatever the APN value. 

The following forum articles should help: 

Hi, thanks for your reply ..I am using android .. all seems to be ok .  Can't understand  the "3" has  change  to " Smarty Internet' . The APN says,   mob.asm.net .  Thks 

If the APN says "mob.asm.net", that'll be okay for aboard, @DavidCr_2353705

My APN says "mob.asm.net", and I've used my handset in Australia and the USA.

Regardless if it says "3" or " Smarty Internet"  where it says Name ..thks 

Having been told various things to do, using other mobiles , etc  via smarty chat over 2 days  and nothing worked have sent for a new SIM ..  Don't want to arrive abroad and no communication. Thanks for your help ..

@DavidCr_2353705 Do you mean a replacement sim? Not sure how that would help if your current sim is performing normally in the UK.

That's what they suggested .. 

@DavidCr_2353705  Looking at this logically, the sim that you have did work in EU recently.

If you change it, the new replacement should have the same profile as the existing one - bearing in mind that a replacement is usually for one that is lost/stolen/broken.

It's to late now but thanks for your input