cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G definitely eating more data

MickLondon
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

It does eat more data contrary to several Internet and expert articles. 

On 4g hardly ever used 4gb PCM now I seem to use it every other day.

Really?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Yes, 5G can use more data than 4G, also battery power, especially if the faster speeds of 5G mean you alter the way you use your phone, using it for data intensive activities.

Even on 4G, a monthly data allowance of 4 GB of data isn’t a lot. If you use your phone to watch video, stream music, then 4 GB of data will be used pretty quickly. 

Personally, I would say 10GB per month is the minimum data amount people need these days, better still 15 GB, which is 500 MB per day.

Don’t forget though, that you don’t have to use 5G, you can set your phone to just 4G if you wish. 

https://usave.co.uk/mobile/does-5g-use-more-data-than-4g/ 

IMG_0904.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Yes, 5G can use more data than 4G, also battery power, especially if the faster speeds of 5G mean you alter the way you use your phone, using it for data intensive activities.

Even on 4G, a monthly data allowance of 4 GB of data isn’t a lot. If you use your phone to watch video, stream music, then 4 GB of data will be used pretty quickly. 

Personally, I would say 10GB per month is the minimum data amount people need these days, better still 15 GB, which is 500 MB per day.

Don’t forget though, that you don’t have to use 5G, you can set your phone to just 4G if you wish. 

https://usave.co.uk/mobile/does-5g-use-more-data-than-4g/ 

IMG_0904.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Agree with @JJP2, although we have 5G available, it is built upon (and relying on) the architecture of 4G (LTE) services and therefore with this amalgamation of networks/frequencies you will notice speed gains and greater reliability so therefore you might spend more time connected to it and using it for things that consume more data e.g. apps, video streaming and even AI or virtual reality. Apps today are also always not 'data-saving' .. they 'want' to use more data so that the viewing experience is not compromised.

Ofc individual usage patterns will still vary, I think the main factor is probably speed - it takes you less time to download something and therefore allows you to quickly move onto the next thing and so on. Personally, I have a 16GB plan and I tend to favour using data saving measures in apps when out and about. 

Another thing to consider is that over time, 5G is becoming more reliable, you'll spend less time connected to Wi-Fi when out and about leading to more data usage; favourable for mobile networks but not so much on your data allowance! I read somewhere that the average data usage according to Ofcom has now reached ~5.6GB per month. 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Spot on @jassingh 

Ofcom reckon average data use is 5.6 GB a month ? I think that have woefully understated that. I can use around 2 GB a day on my phone, although I appreciate I would be called a heavy user.

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@JJP2 Yeah, I was just looking into some kind of 'average' value and they produce a communications market report each year with findings based on data they've collected about mobile network usage inc. with Wi-Fi. In 2022 it mentioned usage around 5.6GB and for 2023 they state 8.0GB (compared to 4.5GB in 2021). They also have values for fixed broadband usage as well. Though it may well be this is factoring light-medium users for sure.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Centurion
SMARTY Centurion

5.6GB is nothing these days! Just installing an update on my Apple watch Ultra this month used 2.3GB of data to complete. I'm a light user, even I use 30-50GB of data a month. That's just updating my devices, watching Youtube, browsing the web, Facebook and listening to music.

Edit: I forgot Email too

GaryFin
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Remember when 4G first became common, and I contacted 3 network who I was with then, and told them it was using much more data than my existing 3G. They said no it isn't it's just the way you use it. Now I know that for technical reasons, 4G did indeed use more data to achieve the exact same things as 3G on less data. My bet is the same 'technicalities' will be apparent in 5G too. 

The faster the connection, the more data one uses, because not only are you able to do more because the connection is faster, but things like video and audio streams usually default to higher quality streams.

I suppose it's like driving around in a brand new car after driving around in a £200 old banger for a couple of years. You will likely be using more fuel per day as you're able to drive further distances at faster speeds and, thus, you're able to do more mileage per day than previous.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Yes, exactly re the capabilities of 4G and now 5G.

As you probably know, you are still with 3 in a way, as Smarty are wholly owned by 3.