cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] Do you buy refurbished tech?

Nathan
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

I haven't bought a new laptop or phone in years. Mainly because when I upgrade, I buy a refurbished device. 

With bills spiralling for everyone, I can’t figure out why more people don’t do this. Based on my number I’ve saved £400 on my last two upgrades! 

I usually opt for the best conditions refurbished devices (Most retailers offer devices in varying conditions). Each time I’ve received a new device. My last one even came in the original retail box. 

I compiled a list of tech and potential savings buying refurbished below. Hope it’s helpful: 

Device 

New Price 

Best Refurb Price (Great Condition) 

Saving % 

iPhone 13 

£749 

£630 

£119 

MacBook Pro 2020  

£1,149 

£900 

£249 

Samsung S22 

£769 

£619 

£150 

iPad 2020 

£369 

£190 

£179 

Does anyone else know of some decent places to locate refurbished tech or do you always buy new? 

I’ve also attached a picture of the refurbished MacBook Pro 2020 I bought recently. It’s new and saved me £300 

62 REPLIES 62

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Refurbished is a great way to buy, however you should give careful consideration to battery life in refurbished items, because the standards do differ from the resellers.  Look at the cost of the battery replacement, and compare that to the new price of the item.  I know Apple guarantee batteries for 2 years, despite the 1 year warranty when you by new, and often that battery is around 90% capacity after 2 years, depending how you use your device, which can mean the saving you make is negated by then cost of that battery replacement much sooner than if you bought it new.  I’ve bought private, little use or unused from private sellers in the past, to make the saving and still benefit from decent battery life.

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey  Michael_T

great point and definitely something to think about, I know I notice when my battery starts draining faster. weighing up savings with value is so important  

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I have never purchased a refurb handset and never would personally.

When I have looked at refurbs in the past there is very little savings to be made and given the risks involved it's just not worth it to me. After all, refurb to many companies is nothing more than giving it a wipe down with some furniture polish, replacing a broken screen or battery with a cheap Chinese nockoff. I have watched many YouTube teardown videos where for example a refurbished Apple iPhone purchased direct from Apple was shown to be in terrible condition on inside (water damaged, poor soldering etc). 

I'm with you on that Bhoyo 

You don't have to buy refurbished buy out of style Mobile phones.  I got one from Car phone Warehouse for my hubby and it was half the price.  Also, has a Sim only so no hefty monthy bills. I wish we had done this years ago!  He has saved hundreds!

Davy-Bhoy88
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi newb here.

I'll be honest, I've only ever bought 2nd hand pc 💻 RAM & HDD both still working.

I like the Huawei / Honor Well Honor now, I will normally buy a new Honor Model every few years but my Honor 20 Pro is still my daily driver its bullet proof.

I've had a look at some of the reconditioned devices and apple 🍏 is just a no... And don't see a phone 📱 pc 💻 I would like 2nd hand.

Its like a car you dint know how it's been used.? 

Regards 

JayA_36169
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Tl;dr: buying a refurb phone was a waste of money.

I agree with the points made earlier about not knowing how well the previous owner treated the device and difference in price being cancelled by the need to by a replacement battery.

I personally bought a second hand iPhone to replace my old android and from the start the battery only lasted 4-6 hours depending on use; I even had to keep it plugged while using it at one point. Then, the charging cable it came with stopped working and (as I was on holiday) I had no choice but to buy a replacement cable.

After all that, I had to get a new phone anyway and it's served me without issue for years.

So IMO, just buy new if it's something you know you'll need to depend on. Buy things like furniture and jewelry secondhand. 

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I've previously ruled out getting a second hand phone because of the battery issue. But they seem to last longer these days so I've got a second hand Pixel 6 Pro on the way. I can't possibly justify a new one! I just go straight for second hand rather than refurb - maximum risk!

I've never bought a new laptop. The one I have now is great for my needs. Cost be about £100 three years ago. Though I do have a fancy work one which I must admit to using most of the time!

How much did you pay for it? A brand new Pixel 6 Pro is only £449 at Argos right now. BARGAIN!!!

Not any more - it's £674 online

PieterSan_30971
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'm not saying that re-furbished is a bad idea, after all, it has to be a better way of reducing our consumption of raw materials, BUT...

I recently had to replace my ancient and ailing Samsung and wanted an alternative that didn't require a vast financial outlay.

To cut a long story short, I ended up with a NEW Oppo A94 5g phone for £199. 

I am very impressed; not only is it super-fast with an octo-core processor, it has a beautiful high-resolution screen, a great camera ,(with macro and landscape options) and of course, 5g connectivity.

I've had it for about a month now and my friends and family are very impressed, too.

It's definitely a good alternative to the "big two" suppliers and worth a look. 

P.S. I have no connection with Oppo or any retailers. I'm just a happy consumer willing to help others.

PhilipK_1454359
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

My last two phones (iPhone) have been refurbished. I chose Grade A or Excellent condition. They looked like new, had battery health of 98% and 96%. I saved about £150 each. The iPhone 11 I’ve had for about two and a half years. Still has 89% battery health. (On average a two year old phone should have about 80% battery health) 

So for me it’s been an excellent experience. 

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi Nathan, I have been dealing with a company called CEX (aka Computer Exchange)  for a number of years now. They have a  wide range of goods and very good prices, but what appeals to me is that all items including C grade all come with a two year warranty. I've only ever had to return an item to a shop under warranty and because that item was no longer stocked, I was given an immediate credit for the full price I paid to chose something else.

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I buy from CEX (Computer Exchange) their prices are hard to beat, the quality of their refurbs is high and everything sold by them carries a 2 year warranty inluding the batteries

Ever consider backmarket

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I buy from CEX (Computer Exchange) their prices are hard to beat, the quality of their refurbs is high and everything sold by them carries a 2 year warranty inluding the batteries

DaveThruxton120
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi my Son just brought a refurbished Samsung 21 with-2 months warranty from Amazon it looked like a new phone he’s well happy with it also came with everything in a retail box saved quite a bit on the phone over new price 🤟🏼☺️

Amazon can do some great offers. 

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I did post earlier about products from CEX (webuy.com) CEX like many companies grade their goods from A to C, A being like new and unmarked. To be honest I have had C grade goods from them that make some companies A grade stock look poor. B grade stuff is very hard to tell its not new, most items come with a brand new power supply/charger and usually boxed. The BIG decider for me is the warranty. Every item comes with a full two years warranty even C grade items and often where the original manufacturer offers a one year warranty. In all the years I have been buying from CEX, I have only ever had to use the warranty once with a portable hard drive that failed. As that model was no longer stocked they couldnt exchange it and I was given the full value of the original item against anything in stock.

Hi buddy.

Did the company sell SSD Drives as looking to upgrade my ps4 pro with a 2TB or 4TB Drive but they quite expensive.

Thanks for the info it helps to know the best places especially with warranty as that’s definitely a concern cheers buddy have a great Xmas m8.

What sort of prices have you seen? I can have a look for you.

£147 new 2TB from Ebuyer

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Just upgraded from ps4 to ps5, honestly,could have had my ps4 going, although there are extra gimmicks in games, don't see much difference, hopefully it was a good move to upgrade.

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Just upgrade to ps5 man, I was in a same conundrum. Upgrade my ps4 or go for it. Switch now and keep playing, nonsense to hold off.

Wardysays
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I have no issues buying refurbed. You just need to do your research on what you are buying and where from. Battery is the main issue but most people know that now.

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

Jamie
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

When I set my dad up with 4g Huawei b311 router on smarty for his home internet the refurbished version was only £11 cheaper (£39.00) - the new one was £50.00 so I decided to go for the new one.

AmarHuss_963242
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

CEX is a good place to but used Tech, Everything comes with a 24 month warranty. I recently bought a 1GB SSD Harddrive from there it was pretty much brand new for £45. Also bought a laptop that was listed as B Grade but when it arrived it was virtually brand new and £200 cheaper than a brand new one 

SquPaulStephen
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I try to buy refurbished tech whenever I can, saves me money but it helps to save our shared planet's environment, resources & wildlife! Earth's resources has taken millions of years to make & Are NOT SUSTAINABLE, REFURBISHED can ROCK!

SquPaulStephen
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Haffprice good for refurbished tech & much more!

RobNewm_1309511
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Both my phone and laptop are refurbished and have been great really. Cheaper, just as good and reliable. Obviously I used well known and reputable refurb companies but I would say that it's a more viable option for sure 

MarkHin_1003866
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’m sure it’s something I should do, but in reality I do like to have the latest & best available when I do upgrade any tech…

BarakLe_1273076
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Always new. Mostly because of the manufacturer warranty. But also because it's nice to have a brand new gadget that no one used before 

Rebecca_1508376
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Always refurb. Current iPhone is 7 years old, was a refurb and still going strong after a new battery. Would never buy new. 

Sbristo5
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I downgraded, S22 were silly money, got an A53 new about £400. 5G big screen lovely photos. Screen resolution not as good but at 50yrs young am I going to notice? Plastic case not aluminium? It goes in a plastic case for its protection so overall very happy with it.

PaulDev_1435944
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I just wouldn't but unless it was new and had a warranty I just wouldn't want to take the chance just incase it didn't last. 

Terence_1037204
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Livingsocial , found this app on Google play. 

Got myself a refurbished chromebook reduced from £299 to £69 delivery was cheap , had this for six months now no problem. 

HannahW_17
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I buy refurbished phone too and have a som only contract. The money this saves over the years is astronomically eye watering and I don't think people.reslise. I know not everyone has the cash finds available to purchase our right but if you do it really is a fantastic option. My last 2 phones I've got off eBay, repritable stores and pay with PayPal. I've never had a problem with either of my purchases at all. I also go for the best refurb option. 

It seems like a lot of people fall into this disposable culture but really these bit of tech with refurbs or new batteries have a hell of a shelf life.... Cheaper, perfectly good piece of kit and it is helping with waste what's not to love! 

StephenSmarty
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I have bought refurbished devices as can't afford new ones 

Barbara_1030827
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have had my present mobile phone for about 4.5 years.  So no contract for a new phone saving me hundreds of pounds and have a great SIM onlynmonthly from Smartly.