cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling requires signal?

giddie
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I often have no signal at my new house. Not a sausage. WiFi is great, though. The problem is that if I don't have at least one bar, my phone won't even try to make a call. So long as I have a bar, it'll use WiFi calling and all works great.

My impression is that a phone signal should not be needed to start a WiFi call. Has anyone else experienced this?

My phone is a OnePlus 5T running LineageOS 20 (Android 13).

2 REPLIES 2

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Your thoughts are correct, you do not need a mobile network signal to call through wifi calling.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/s10e-sm-g970f-ds-lineageos-is-wifi-calling-volte-working.4581053/

HOWEVER, you would appear to be experiencing a known issue with the Lineage OS, according to the thread, where people have decided losing the capability of wifi calling is worth it to have a de-googled phone.

EDIT : Loathe to suggest this, as Smarty works great for me and many others, but, as you have moved to a new house with no Three / Smarty signal, it may be best to explore a new network. Obviously, check the coverage maps of other networks in the first instance, to make sure you dont replicate this issue. 

giddie
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Weird. As I mentioned in the original post, WiFi calling works just fine for me - the option is available and switched on, and so long as there's at least a little signal I'm able to make and receive calls with the WiFi calling and HD symbols shown. It looks like the post you linked to refers to a version of LineageOS for a Samsung phone without support for WiFi calling.

It _is_ still really weird that at least a little signal is needed, though.