Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarty keeps crashing my Santander online login

MarkJoh_2266326
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi

Smarty is sporadically not enabling me to logon to my Santander account, it throws me out when entering my passwords etc. Sometimes I can get into the accounts screen but then it crashes when clicking on any one of my accounts. Logging into  Lloyds works with no problems.

This has only happened since I have started with Smarty. I have replaced the SIM card in the router with my previous EE SIM  and I have not encountered any problem logging into Santander and clicking on and opening an account.   Therefore, it seems Smarty is the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Smarty being a “no frills” provider does not yet offer a telephone helpline. 

Santander should have explained to you what they mean by an IP address jumping. Even dynamic IP changes don’t tend to change within minutes. 

IF you are confident with using VPN software, you could try using a VPN connected to a UK server when using Santander Online banking. That may solve your issue.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

MarkJoh_2266326
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi

Smarty is sporadically not enabling me to logon to my Santander bank account, it throws me out when entering my passwords etc. Sometimes I can get into the accounts screen but then it crashes when clicking on any one of my accounts. Logging into  Lloyds bank works with no problems.

This has only happened since I have started with Smarty. I have replaced the SIM card in the router with my previous EE SIM  and I have not encountered any problem logging into Santander and clicking on and opening an account.   Therefore, it looks like Smarty is the problem. 

Please note am not using my mobile to logon to Santander bank, I am using my computer.

Any help is much appreciated,  Thank you

IIRC correctly, you previously posted about having issues with 1.1.1.1 warp VPN ?

I wonder if it’s the VPN that’s causing you the issue ?

No that wasn't me.

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@MarkJoh_2266326,

A few things to consider, from someone who has been using technology for over 45 years (yes that is 45):

Have you considered that it might be Santander that is not recognising Smarty, meaning you end up where you are?

Just because another phone provider is recognised by Santander doesn't mean it follows that it is Smarty or others are recognised by their software!

If you have another providers SIM, that works, then why not use that one?!

I had considered that it might be Santander that is not recognising Smarty, I phoned them  yesterday but then I assumed it was a problem that was affecting everybody, Santander said they could not see a problem. Now that  I know there is no problem using EE SIM  in the router I'll try contacting Santander tomorrow and explain the situation.

The reason I don't want to use EE is that their download speed is only 2 to 5Mbps whereas I get up to 23Mbps with Smarty.

Being a novice it is good to get another person opinion thank you.

Hi 

I am still having problems login on to Santander, so I went to to a neighbour who also uses 3 used his laptop and had the same problem logging in.

I have phoned Santander technical department and explained the problem and I was told that they could see the  IP address was jumping and that was the problem.  She said to contact my ISP provider.

Is there a phone number that is available to contact Smarty or 3 technical department.

Or is there a solution you can help me with. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Smarty being a “no frills” provider does not yet offer a telephone helpline. 

Santander should have explained to you what they mean by an IP address jumping. Even dynamic IP changes don’t tend to change within minutes. 

IF you are confident with using VPN software, you could try using a VPN connected to a UK server when using Santander Online banking. That may solve your issue.

I have been on Chat and explained the problem to a person not a BOT.

He said” I'm really sorry, SMARTY is a mobile network provider we only have the options of dynamic IP address which changes constantly as per the nature of the network which also uses for calls and text”.

I did ask the question if they did have a Data only SIM, he said Yes, we do have a data SIM and you can also change it to the data only plan which will be effective from your next renewal.

But would this have a static IP address?

Help please

@MarkJoh_2266326,

I very much doubt that the IP address for a data SIM would be static.  Smarty do not recommend using a data SIM on their network as an alternative to broadband, which would suggest that there is no static IP.  Mobile data is, by it's very nature, is not stable.

I know Smarty uses 3 network but would do you know if 3 have stable IP address for data only sim

@MarkJoh_2266326,

As Smarty just repackages deals for people like us, 3 would have the same stability in there packages as we receive.

The Mobile system is not designed to have static IP addresses, whether using a Premium price package directly from 3 (or other similar provider) or from organisations such as Smarty.

I agree with @Strandloper 

As Smarty uses dynamic IP addresses, it’s highly unlikely that they will use static IP addresses purely for data only SIMs.

Presumably EE use a static IP address as I don' t get the same problem logging on to Santander with EE.

I there a way I can see if the IP address keeps changing.

@MarkJoh_2266326,

You seem to be ignoring what is being suggested.  If EE is doing what you want, why not go and pay the prices they are asking for, rather than question the answers you are being given!!!

That is the problem EE is not doing what I want, their download  speed is awful 3 Mbps where as Smarty is 20Mbps. It is not about the money, I have still got a Mobile Data contract with EE. It is the ability to be able to stream films etc. with out buffering.

What have I ignored?

If 3 only have dynamic IP addresses I find it hard to believe this is the problem with Santander, there would be a lot of  other  people with 3 isp having the same problem.

I'll get back to Santander about this

@MarkJoh_2266326,

It seems I have to be very blunt and "educational" in order to get through.

ALL mobile networks are inherently unstable, even WiFi.  The more traffic/use there is over WiFi or a mobile network, the greater the instability, especially if the bandwidth is getting close to capacity.  It's great if you are the only one connected to the mobile mast or WiFi router.

There are additional problems with signal strength and it's drop off with distance.  This can, to a certain extent be overcome by increasing signal strength, or using different bandwidths and signal frequencies, hence the progression from G to 2G, and on to the current 5G.

There seems to be the dichotomy of either a mobile network, such as 3 and  the likes of Smarty, with speeds you find acceptable, or EE with its poor speeds (for you), but being able to connect to your choice of bank.

It's a case of choosing one to be able to use your banking (Santander) or get the bank to work on Smarty (or other 3 based network).  Alternatively, go through what's needed to change to a banking institution that will work on your network choice.

Hopefully that will enlighten you enough to understand.

Thank you that is very enlightening but you must remember that not every body has the same amount of knowledge as you.

@MarkJoh_2266326,

My apologies, I have an unfortunate habit of assuming others absorb information like I do 🙂

I sorted the problem by trying a VPN, Microsoft have incorporated one in Edge.

I was apparent that it is 3 that is the problem, when I tried to log on to EDF my electricity supplier and it said “There is a problem with your network”. This confirmed that it wasn’t a problem with Santander.

So it is all working OK.

Thank you very much for all the help that has been given to me. Without this community forum I would still be in trouble

I actually don't think it's a smarty problem but Santander. The mobile santander app works fine on my smarty sim powered router but I experience all the login issues when trying to use internet banking on my laptop, the login is not secure, keeps throwing me back to the login page etc. On my smartphone app using the santander app connected through the same router at the same time there is no such problem, login is stable. So the app writers seem to have overcome the IP 'jumping' problem where the online banking routines don't seem to be able to mangae it. I don't have any problem using my laptop online to any other website (banks, amazon, ebay, booking.com whatever) so it's not the router or the sim card, it has to be santanders' useless website routines that can't handle the IP switching ( but their app can ).

@HarryFl_2739372 ...and just to add to problems, the Santander App has just been updated and I have had problems with it where none previously existed.

I have a data only SIM and it is a dynamic IP address.  I have same problem with keeping a session with Santander online.

RodWats_2380078
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Latecomer to this conversation.

Had the same issue connecting to Santander. Set a static IP in my router but didn't help with signal stability. Did the VPN in Edge allow access to your Santander account? Thanks for any feedback.