cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Codes - Can’t reply to water company - Any update as to when Smarty will support short codes ?

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Just had a text message from my local water company.

I need to reply to the message, but it’s a five digit short code, which Smarty do not currently support. 

Any idea when Smarty will support short codes @Rebekah_150 @JodieC ?

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2 Out of interest, I have just done a search and found this: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/952515-are-all-texts-free-with-smarty-plans

The suggestion is that they will charge for short code texts! I hope they rethink that one when the service launches. I understand it perhaps for competitions and votes etc but feel it would be wrong as a general rule e.g. replies to utilities, health services etc.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

That page has been the same for a while 

When it says “updated over a week ago” that could have been the same for several years 

Yes, hopefully shortcode texts to Utility companies, health services etc won’t be charged or at least at a token rate, say 5p.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Working from my position of ignorance, I find it hard to see why any extra charge should be made for what is after all a domestic text.

I do appreciate the need for companies to extract their pound of flesh to profit from competitions, votes etc but when responding to other everyday messages I don't think that is reasonable.

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

This issue has been going on for years now 😤😠
I've been with Smarty for over 4yrs and I have seen the exact same 'advice' about short code numbers in all that time. It is especially frustrating because so many companies now use these numbers as their day to day communication and they can not be replied to 😠 Even if they only sort out this part of it for now and then work on the 'paid competitions' part after, it would be immensely helpful!
I joined Smarty because short codes were not that prevalent, and it wasn't something I needed at the time, but now.....
And, NOWHERE in the SMARTY info you read when looking to join the network tells you about the lack of short code compatibility, you have to dig around to find the info (which I'm sure many don't as it's not in the fore front of their minds at the time of joining until it's relevant and then the Q&A always gives the same non-committal  answer of 'we are working on it') 😠😠😠
If SMARTY want to stay a competitive/relevant provider they really need to work on this as there are so many more (just as competitive) out there!

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I wouldn't reply to any short code texts even if SMARTY allowed it. It's crazy that legitimate entities even use these numbers for their day-to-day communication! All those rouge companies using premium rate short code numbers have to do is send out messages containing the same or similar content to get one to reply and you could be billed ridiculous amounts for said reply or subscribe to a service which could also cost ridiculous amounts of wonga over a sustained period of time.

Think about it, Mary gets a random SMS from 54321 with a "Hello, this is the NHS, please reply YES to this SMS to confirm you will be attending your appointment as scheduled" and so little old Mary does just that because she did just so happen to have an appointment with some NHS department (Doctor, Hospital etc) and gets billed £7.50 and is enrolled in some daily SMS scheme that costs £7.50 for each additional message received.