Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up roaming - can't change APN

Mattc540
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, 

I have a fair phone 4, I have tried to follow the instructions to set it up for use abroad but my APN is called 'smarty' not '3' as in the android set up guide, and I cannot edit anything in the APN.

I have tried creating a new one called 3 with he correct settings as per the help guide but the phone will not allow me to select this APN - it just defaults to the one called 'smarty' 

Can anyone advise or help? 

Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Is it an Android phone? Are all the other settings correct? Worth a web chat with Support Team otherwise.

Mattc540
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, it is an android phone, the only setting that looks different to the set up guide is the APN type - it reads 'default,supl,mms,xcap' 

According to the smarty set up guide it should say 'internet + mms' 

Thanks 

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey @Mattc540 

Can you tell me the make and model of your device?

Hello it's a fairphone version 4 

Mattc540
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Seems like no one has any ideas then...

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Okay @Mattc540, on your device the APN is shown as "mob.asm.net"?

Hi there, yes it is

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Okay @Mattc540, in that case mobile data roaming with your handset should work okay. 
Have you found there's a problem? 

Hi @Chalkychap . I have the same issue and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22. My Access point is called Smarty (not 3) and the field is prefilled as mob.asm.net. Will this work for roaming abroad also?

I find this changing APN settings confusing however I know people who've been to EU not changed anything and it's still worked fine. I've read so many conflicting statements on official smarty sites also!

If the APN value shown is "mob.asm.net", and this value is in the "SMARTY" profile, then I'd be inclined to think so @Betty_Swollox

Perhaps the profile name shown in the the online information is out-of-date.

If you're uncertain about this, why not use web chat to get in-touch with the SMARTY customer support team (https://smarty.co.uk/contact) between 8am - 8pm daily.