cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTP message from amazon arrives as a string of @s on my new Tenda Router.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Due to SMARTY dropping 3G in my area I've just replaced my Huawei B311 4G Router with a Tenda Wi-Fi 4G VoLTE Router (Model 4G06v1.1). It works just fine bar for one thing. When trying to login to Amazon or a bank the OTP message they send me via text (SMS) arrives as rubbish! The SMS from Amazon is just a string of @s. Texts sent from friends phones are fine.

Anyone any idea what's going on? tia, fuzzy.

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@fuzzy  Are the sms messages on your phone of on a device which takes wifi from the router?

If it is on a device, what app do you use?

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I don't have a phone[1]. To access the SMS messages I login to the router (that's the way it works on both my routers).  When I just logged in to SMARTY I asked for the code to be sent by email as the SMS it sends is garbage, here it is "ᴧ㔏砺泚ॉꁛ᷾筁뙂ﲽ㹯䎄쓻﷚༙뗇抑䴦⬽腁橓괋僋꯽퉳ꊃ엸 ".

[1]  Actually I do but I don't use it.

@fuzzy Don't know what that is, but wondering whether it may be some Far Eastern language.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Indeed. But when I logged in this time the SMS message consists of a long string of @s, nothing else!

The Huawei  works okay regards SMS messages but my old landline hand set  plugged in the Tel port doesn't work at all. So by swapping the SIM  between the two Routers I can manage but am not keen on doing so for too long.

Ii seems to me OTP messages sent by SMS  are not the same as SMS sent by you or me, as the latter arrive okay.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Might be worth starting a thread on which Routers work in areas where SMARTY has dropped 3G, and how to fix problems like this?

I'm off for an early night, to snuggle up and listen to the incoming storm.