cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd wifi calling issue?

BobbyT
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi all, first post so be gentle and apologies if this has been covered but I have searched here to no avail.

We have identical phones (Samsung A40) and Smarty plans. My phone has the option to enable 'WiFi Calling' but my wife's does not.....the option is simply not there!

Both phones have a very good connection to the router (fibre to the premises) and they both report speeds of around 200Mbps.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

(I would disable my 'WiFi calling' to see if this 'opened' up the option on her's but haven't got access to her phone at the moment.....plus it can't be this surely?)

Many thanks in advance for any help

Bob

10 REPLIES 10

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey  BobbyT

This does sound like a device issue if it is showing on your handset, my recommendation is to contact Samsung's support 

Thank you Rebekah will do

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi @BobbyT 👋
Have you tried swapping your SIM cards between the phones??
Can calls be made/received using both phones with both SIMs?
If the phone in question still doesn't have 'WiFi Calling' enabled with your 'working' SIM then it is down to the phones Software.
This may be down to a Software update problem that is little known (unless looked for) . I posted this some time ago as I had the same problem when the 4G network was turned off as I had neither VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling even though my phone had the capability to do so.......
https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/can-t-make-receive-calls-not-necessarily-a-network-pro...

If you need any advice with regards to 'Flashing' your wifes Samsung (if this is the case) then let me know! x x

BobbyT
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Many thanks @Decembersangel

I'll try the swap now!

Bob xx

BobbyT
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Don't know what's happening to my posts.....2nd time and they seem to disappear??

@Decembersangel  my (working sim) in my wifes phone = no wi-fi calling. Her sim in my phone = working wi-fi calling.

Yet, both phones have nearly identical firmware versions....that 'XEU' is in the middle of the code and at the end on both phones.

Any ideas???

BobbyT
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

...btw, this is the second time we've had this issue. Both of our old phones (Blackview A60 Pro's) exhibited the same issue!

Could it be the router?

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi @BobbyT 
This does sound like a Software problem on your wifes phone (although I am not an expert, just someone who faffed around until I found an answer to my own problem which was similar).
If it were down to a problem with the SIM then it wouldn't work in your phone.
Is the Software up to date on your wifes phone? Does the Software Version on the phone have any of the codes for 'named' networks? When you say 'near identical' what do you mean? Could you add both versions to the post so I can see if there is something in it?
The only reason I can think of that the phone isn't showing the WiFi Calling option (and usually includes the use of VoLTE 4G Calling) is the relevant Software update to enable the use of these hasn't happened due to being 'blocked'. Until the relevant Software is on the phone neither of these options will be available and this is what you are seeing.
I think it is just a VERY unfortunate coincidence that this has happened twice to you now as this is a very 'unknown control' that networks still have over customers with regards to mobile phones. When we think of 'unlocked' phones we think networks have no control but how wrong we are.
I don't know what you mean by 'Could it be the router?'  Please elaborate.

x x 

Hi @Decembersangel 

Thank you very much for your time and interest!

By the 'router issue' I mean could my internet provider have a limit on wi-fi calling connections allowed through the router?......I very much doubt it (not least because I can't see how the traffic through it could be differentiated per se)......but I have a good relationship with them so might just drop them a quick email to enquire if they know what I'm on about 😉

You may well be a 'faffer' but doubtless you will have forgotten more than I know about this!

Both phones have no updates available (they're refurbished from Amazon 'cos I'm cheap)

My phone's firmware is...

SAOMC_SM-A405FN_OXM_XEU_QQ_0017 R58N35DSL5F XEU/XEU,NEE/E31

My wife's is...

SAOMC_SM_A405FN_OXM_XEU_QQ_0011 R58N72YGRLP XEU/XEU,NEE/E31

....as you can see, very similar?

Overlaid for ease of comparison....

SAOMC_SM-A405FN_OXM_XEU_QQ_0017 R58N35DSL5F XEU/XEU,NEE/E31

SAOMC_SM_A405FN_OXM_XEU_QQ_0011 R58N72YGRLP XEU/XEU,NEE/E31

Many thanks again 🙂

Bob xx

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi @BobbyT 👋
Hmmmm 🤔 It does appear that the phone's software are similar BUT it does make me wonder when you have the exact same phones your Software states '0017  R58N35DSL5F' and your wifes states '0011  R58N72YGRLP ' and if that is where the problem lies 🤔 but I don't think so because the software, on both, is 'unbranded' and the updates should happen and not be restricted.
If your wife has the capability to use the 'LTE' (VoLTE) network to make/receive calls then WiFi Calling 'should' work as the software enables use of both.
I know these are probably a stupid questions (and if there is a stupid question to ask I will ask it 🤣) but:-
1) Does the phone have the 'Wi-Fi Calling' app installed and is it Enabled? (under Settings search for Wi-Fi Calling as mine doesn't show up under 'Apps' )
2) Have you tried swapping the SIMS to see if that is the problem?
3) Have you tried manually updating the software to ensure the most current version is on the handset?
4) When you swipe down from the top of the screen (you may have to swipe down twice depending on the organisation) does it show the WiFi Calling icon and is it on?
5) Have you tried.... 
Step 1. Open the Phone app and then tap the More options icon (the three vertical dots).
Step 2. Select Settings.
Step 3. Find and tap the switch to enable Wi-Fi calling.

Other than that ....... *shrug* 
I hope you find the answer but if not Google is your friend (other search engines are available 😂)

Good luck and if you think I can help you further then please let me know!! x x

You're a star @Decembersangel  thank you for your time, I'll try these steps 🙂

Bob xx