cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data connection in Waterloo station

Gravois
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Connection bars are always fine but data doesn’t work until your train is clear of the station. Feels like there’s a contention going on that puts smarty mobile at the bottom of the list. Even asked other mobile users on the train and they have no data issues on other networks. I have unlimited data plan and tried 5g 4g it doesn’t matter.

6 REPLIES 6

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

It could simply be that the three mast is farther away from the station than the mast of other networks.

Aldo, a train station will in some parts of it, even if not all parts, will act as a giant Faraday cage, blocking signal and therefore connectivity. 

Thanks but wouldn’t the ‘faraday cage’ effect prevent you getting any reception? Whereas I get five bars of connection, just no data. It’s the same every week so I doubt it’s a local mast issue. 

I did a search online and someone else reported a similar issue on iPhone 14 too

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/got-signal-but-no-connection/m-p/377 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Waterloo station is usually very busy, especially in rush-hour periods, @Gravois.

Perhaps the local Three UK network cell is simply too congested, and data packet latency is so high that mobile data is effectively useless. Maybe after being clear of the station, you're connecting to a different Three UK network cell. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Gravois  In addition to what @JJP2RidesAgain correctly says, have you done a Network Status check for that postcode to ensure that there are no local mast problems?

Gravois
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks, I solved the problem by switching to a different network provider and found that reception bars were slightly lower in the station but the data connection works perfectly. In fact the 5g speed and internet latency is much improved outside the station too so for now I’ve switched away from smarty to my benefit . Sorry. The price and unlimited data is a great offer but not if the network performance doesn’t match the promise. Happily switch back once they resolve these issues.

@Gravois Glad you've found what you need. I don't think any network will make you a "promise" - other than to take your money faithfully!!🤣