cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Status

SharonR_1076290
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I use my unlimited data SIM in a 4G router for the internet. Today I have had no service at all - Network status says no issues in this area. Contacted Smarty only to be told there WAS an issue with a local mast (3 network status is also fine) and that I should wait. It’s weird as my laptop and devices can all access wifi network but then state no internet connection, internet icon comes on intermittently for about 30 secs then returns to No internet access icon. I’m not sure if issue is with router (have run a check and that said no internet and check with ISP) or really is a mast problem! It’s worked perfectly since I set it up, I’ve not changed anything and am at a loss what else to do. Surely if it was a mast other networks would also show as being down. I’m confused - any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@SharonR_1076290  There are two separate issues as far as I can see.

Firstly, your laptop and devices can link to the wifi router network with no problem as no data signal is needed

Secondly however, the router cannot itself link up to Smarty if there is no signal from the mast.

KatieWe_2012167
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi, I've got the same problem as you. Data sim in a 4g router also. I work from home and lost a whole days wage because of this. It's still going off and phone signal non existent most of the time. It's not your router it's Smarty! Can't even talk to a person to get it sorted. Go on chat and your signal goes again so no resolution. I was told last time that too many people accessing the network, seriously!! Why do they advertise for you to keep referring friends and family if their network can't cope? Worst network ever. I'm now looking to change 

@KatieWe_2012167  If you take a look at the bottom of this page, it makes it clear that Smarty is for personal use only i.e. not for work. That's because mobile networks cannot guarantee a strong and steady signal everywhere that customers are using it.

did you do a coverage check before joining? Have you done a Network Status check to ensure no local signal problem?

You may well change networks, but there still won't be any guarantee of a strong and steady signal - for that you need broadband - and even then it's not a 100% guarantee as there are occasional problems.

Yes, I understand this however, I couldn't even use my mobile for personal use. My router is also for personal use. I missed so many calls with the network problems. I couldn't call out or receive calls which, for me is necessary having a chronic condition. My mobile data wouldn't even stay on to chat to Smarty about the problem. I checked the coverage before I went with Smarty. Even when the network is down the coverage signal checker tells you it's excellent! 

@KatieWe_2012167  A couple of points here.

Did you ever get a good signal? If not, it may be a feature of your property that is blocking the signal e.g. Faraday Cage effect due to metal beams etc. This may possibly be solved by an external antenna connected to the router.

Network Status - this cannot always be updated instantly and so there may be a lag in reports of local mast issues. Again, only relevant if you previously had a good signal.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it may be that this network will not meet your needs.

I wonder, did you previously have a good service with another network? If so, what was the reason for change and could you go back to them if necessary?

It could well be network congestion, caused in part by people working from home, expecting to continually monopolise mobile bandwidth for 8 - 10 hours a day, when, as stated by Smarty, its a consumer mobile phone service, which is not designed for business use. 

You have been hoisted by your own petard, in trying to be cheap and use a mobile phone service for which it is not intended. It wont just be Smarty either, so you need to properly research and pay for, a fixed line broadband service.