Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MiFi using a data sim in Turkey

Hydraman
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi

I have and old Vodafone R218h mobile WiFi router that I had used in Turkey when Vodafone allowed Roaming there. My question is can I convert it to use the Smarty Data only sim and with the data addon use it there.

I know that any sim will only work for a max of 90 days in Turkey so would like to go "unlimited data" for 1 month to stream TV and broadband then reduce the data to a minimum for 2 months to keep a connection on my security cameras.

Obviously I will need to cancel the contract after the 90 days as it will be disconnected by the Turkish Network provider.

I need to 

3 REPLIES 3

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Couple of things to be aware of :

The old Vodafone router may be network locked to Vodafone, so other networks SIM cards wonโ€™t work in it 

Also :

โ€We (Smarty)will monitor your usage, and if you spend 60 consecutive days abroad, we have the right to suspend all services on your account. This means that you will not be able to use your SIM. Roaming while in or outside the EU counts towards your consecutive use. We'll send you an alert two weeks before the suspension is applied.โ€ which is from :

Yes I accept there are limits to how much data is fair use obvs not "unlimited", if the time is limited to 60 days roaming then it looks like a no go. I have used the local sim option before but a tourist sim expires after 30 days. It is possible to to extend coverage to 60 days by purchasing another sim however you can only purchase a max of two sim cards against your passport so again not an option. People have mentioned using an Esim there but my Phone is not suitable.

Thanks for the advice looks like I will have to keep to local sim providers.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Hydraman I don't think that you will be able to use unlimited data unless you purchase a local sim. The also assumes (as @JJP2RidesAgain  says) the your router is not network locked. Data in Turkey will be charged at 10p per megabyte i.e. ยฃ100 for a gigabyte https://smarty.co.uk/roaming/international/turkey

For that, you would need to purchase add on credit in your account.