cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage not working

ChrisTo_2156108
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I installed my SIM card having brought over my number and iMessage is not working. I have checked the number is right, which it is. I have turned off iMessage and FaceTime and turned back on again, this didn’t work. I have also done the above and turned off my phone, no change. I have also logged out of my iCloud and logged back in again. Same result. My iMessage does not work. 

12 REPLIES 12

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Try turning off iMessage and Facetime, resetting network settings (Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings), then turning iMessage and Facetime back on. Note that you will lose any stored WiFi network credentials when you reset the network settings.

If that doesn't sort it, all I can suggest is toggling iMessage and Facetime off and on again over the next couple of days.

falkirk81
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have the same issue, just spent 2 hours on the phone to apple and they have no idea why this is not activating. I moved from a Three contract to Smarty yesterday, had no issues with the Three contract sim but the Smarty sim refuses to activate iMessage. I have tried all steps here and with apple, no success!

@ChrisTo_2156108 @falkirk81  I would also suggest looking at Settings for My Number - does it still have the original random number allocated to the sim when you first activated it? If so, manually change it to the number that you ported in and see if that is a cure.

I am having the same issue since porting over from EE yesterday.  The imessage is green so 'on' but I'm unable to toggle.  My number shows the old, random number allocated pre-porting but I'm unable to manually change it.

@NicolaM_2252527 Did you try turning iMessage off and then manually changing the number in Settings?

SMARTY advise a NETWORK RESET in these circumstances @NicolaM_2252527 - have you tried this?

Chalkychap_0-1693562649868.png

Online at https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/7019273-keeping-your-number

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

This is common - your previous number ends up being 'cached' in your phone somewhere so it remembers that one. Same thing happens on Android with RCS chats -  you just need to switch off the feature where it will then deactivate the service. Then activate it again (even a few days after) - though sometimes it will not work straight away it will eventually pull through the correct number (can depend on Google or Apple servers when they will pick it up)

Saw a thread similar to this on the iD forum.

Which “feature” do we have to switch off and how?

@MarkCar_2613656 Switch off iMessage app and FaceTime app and then log back in with your Apple ID. Sometimes you can change the 'My Number' in your Settings and that can work.

So you’re saying sign out of Apple ID, then toggle off iMessage and FaceTime, then sign back into Apple ID?

Yes, but don’t forget to toggle iMessage and FaceTime back on

@MarkCar_2613656 Yes. You will need Apple ID to sign into them again.