cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Roaming

AndrewSu_936885
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

What are the rules around roaming, especially in Spain (main land)? Currently on 100GB SIM.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

You can use your SMARTY plan's allowances while roaming in Spain @AndrewSu_936885.

The only restriction being your mobile data allowance is limited to 12GB while roaming in the EU.

There's more information in the online help article at:
Roaming and international | SMARTY Help Centre 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

You can use your SMARTY plan's allowances while roaming in Spain @AndrewSu_936885.

The only restriction being your mobile data allowance is limited to 12GB while roaming in the EU.

There's more information in the online help article at:
Roaming and international | SMARTY Help Centre 

I am using SMARTY for the first time abroad and finding the EU roaming is fairly hopeless, only getting 3G irrespective of which network I log onto. Whereas in exactly the same location, my wife on giffgaff is getting a stunning 5G service. Think I’ll be going back to Giffgaff.

Not sure if you happen to be in España, but Giffgaff is a subsidiary of Telefonica who also happen to own Movistar - the biggest network there. Maybe this accounts for better service level there?

Im in Germany. Can only get E service (across all networks) it’s unusable. Friend with me us on Tescos network and working nicely. Awful experience and wish id not bothered. Will be going back to Voxi when i land!

Yes, I was on Giffgaff, but don't forget, there is a maximum of 5GB use. After that it will cost you a small fortune. Better 3G with 12GB, than 5G with only 5GB allowance. Think about it.

Could @AndrewSu_936885 have used an EU data pass and been able to use their full 100GB?

@Badger You can use 12Gb initially and then purchase a one day or three day Data Roaming Pas to use whatever is left.

N.B. you can only use up to the standard amount of data on that plan - if you have special offer e.g. 150Gb for the normal price of 100Gb, then you could only roam up to the 100Gb limit.

Badger
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks.

I've since done some digging as was able to confirm things. So as you have said, buying the EU Data Pass gives you access to what ever data you have left on your plan. So in my case I have an unlimited plan, so once the 12GB is used up (YouTube + child + several days) I buy a 3 days EU Data Pass and I get 3 days unlimited data in EU, which is actually ok.

I was able to speak to a support agent and they also confirmed, so I'm confident the 3 day EU Data Pass on an unlimited plan gives unlimited data. Thankfully the 12GB was only a few days short of the holiday 😋

@Badger  Thanks for this - I have seen the response you received on your other thread.