cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Esims

Geoffrey_379951
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

When will eSims be arriving. Having purchased a Pixel 7 phone l am can no longer use 2 SIM cards. I am still using my old Samsung in conjunction with my new phone, Or is there a work around 

23 REPLIES 23

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @Geoffrey_379951 we do not know yet when they will arrive, I think I may be the same as you, very keen for them!

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I don't think we will see them for at least another two years! Three don't even fully support eSim's and they are only available for use with smart watches at present.

Wardysays
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Always look to to the parent network. Three don’t short them yet.

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

Three does provide eSim, so does Lycamobile.

Ahmed_833804
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have the exact same problem. I bought the Google Pixel 7 pro but I cannot use it because I do not want to carry two phones around. I had wrong information that the phone is dual sim. Now I need to either return the phone (not very keen on this) or switch to another network that has esim support

And the issue is that networks are charging a premium for esim contracts when in fact the whole thing is a cost saver for them long term. Its a bit of a typical early adopter rip off. I want a particular smart watch but the same issue currently applies so I wont be getting it yet.

Dave
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Not that premium anymore, Lycamobile now offer PAYG eSim, even if you have their 1p a month sim deal.

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I'd be surprised if eSIM support for phones was not added within the next 6 months, since the iPhone 15 will probably not have a SIM card tray. 

AB
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

You right once Apple remove the sim and use Esim only every other network will jump on the bandwagon and follow suite and probably charge a premium

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

So @Geoffrey_379951, are you using the SMARTY SIM in your Pixel or your Samsung?

Who provided the other SIM card you're using @Geoffrey_379951

MrMas
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

There is no workaround. Im looking to buy a Pixel 7 and cant because Im with Smarty. I think sadly this is going to be my reason to leave after many happy years. I know you can have everything on an mvno but esim is the way it is all going so they have to eventually. Meanwhile some will have to leave.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Doesn't one of your service provider's offer eSIM support @MrMas?

Although Three and SMARTY don't (yet), some of the other UK networks do, e.g. EE. 

Nope. Smarty is my main number and my main data provider but my other mvno sim is important to me as I roam in a European but non EU country regularly and they include this which is now very rare for the country concerned. I either carry two phones everywhere or I'd be forced to dump Smarty.

AB
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Just wait you will find if Apple do it everyone else follows suite Esim is a cost saving so networks dont have to send out sims save money

JK555
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have a vodafone esim and smarty physical sim card in my iphone 13. Works perfectly. Also I think but ime not sure, you may be able to have more than 1 esim. If smarty did esim I would ditch vodafone esim....Can't be that hard surely........

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

I guess there might be a couple issues (at least) delaying universal eSIM deployment in the UK. 

a) The mobile network operators need to invest to support remote provisioning et cetera. 
 b) The mobile number porting process needs to be updated, which requires a consultation et cetera.

did you buy a Vodaphone plan as well as smarty to enable e sim then?

did you need to buy a Vodaphone plan in addition to your smarty one in order to enable an e sim?

did you have to buy a Vodaphone plan as well as smarty to activate an e sim?

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Actually, the networks get charged for every eSIM they issue. Although sending out a traditional SIM would likely cost them more.

Who charges?

Hasnaat_k
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Please add eSIMs to the network.

As you will see from some of the replies here (and as I mentioned in your own post), this does not look like it will happen for a while.