cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block calls from 0843 numbers

KenRenn_1582366
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I get repeated calls from numerous 0843 numbers. Very short ring and if I do answer it's a short recorded message. The scam is to leave a 'missed call' on the phone so I return the call - at a premium rate. I can block the individual numbers but they constantly change so I want to block all 0843 numbers. Any ideas folks?

11 REPLIES 11

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

On an iPhone, you can "Silence Unknown Numbers" - that means you will only receive calls from people in your Contacts List. Go to Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Callers.

While this is not perfect as you may miss a call from somewhere that habitually uses a number withhold system e.g. doctors' surgeries, it will at least rid you of the nuisance quickly. They may get fed up after a while and try to irritate someone else!

Thanks but I get too many calls from numbers not in my Contact List to try that. Sadly as the calls are automated they won't get fed up. I think the only way this will be tackled is through Ofcom and they are not particularly quick.

Have you registered your mobile number with the telephone preference service?

See more online at https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/
🍀

even then you may have difficulty as these scam artists are often overseas and make numbers appear as if they are calling from the U to get you to call a chargeable number I think.

BlueMac_1441103
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Ofcom is not reacting on this nationwide scale scum that is happening. Everyone I know experience the same - silent 2 rings call from 0843 or 0845 numbers daily, please beware now they started using 0203 and 0204 numbers.
What are they doing it for? To check if a person on the number alive and answering, in order to target with
1) marketing calls,
2) scum cals,
3) more dangerous ID steaing and other attacks if they know more KYC informaiton about you, appying for a loan on your behalf, cracking your online banking passwords etc.
Reguator is passive, they should have stopped 1-2 years ago and not allowing issueing 0843 / 0845 / 0203 numbers on such a wide scale without verification and without scum-feeback channel.
To help myself - I am investigating if I can find an alternative dialler Android app to replace an Android stock app, where I can configure a block list with wildcards like 0843* to be completey blocked, rejected, silenced.

@BlueMac_1441103  Nothing much seems to work to block them.

I wonder if the reason for the 'silent calls' is that they come from an auto-dialler and when they actually get answered, there is nobody free to deal with the call as they are trying to scam some other poor sap who answered them and didn't immediately tell them where to get off!

All very frustrating! These people certainly must be desperate to make a living....or else it turns out to be highly lucrative as they are able to successfully scam a large number of people....not sure which is true!

No, it works, there are 2 ways:
1) manual, after 2 rings call passed (which you MUST NOT answer) go to the call details and if you are in Android then you can put that number in the block list, this works well
2) automatic - check this list https://www.lifewire.com/top-call-blocking-app-for-smartphones-4050085

Never answer these calls - very kind of you to think somebody is there to deal - NO, the calls are made by robots, robo diallers, to check if the person at the given number responds, when he or she responds etc for scumming and malicious targetting reasons, never take these calls.

All the best

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Just don’t return the call, especially as you are fairly certain it’s a scam call. 

I will not answer calls from numbers that are not in my contacts. If it’s a legitimate call, the caller will usually leave a voicemail. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Generally, I agree. Unfortunately, doctors and hospitals and certain others withhold their numbers for privacy reasons

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Very true. My GP leaves voicemails, asking you to ring the surgery. As that’s what my surgery does, I assumed that’s the normal practice.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  I was with Citizens Advice for about 10years and when we called people we withheld the number for their safety (cases of domestic violence and similar horrendous stuff). We would never leave a voicemail just in case the wrong person was able to listen to the message.