Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4G phone with 5G sim

UrbanViking
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hello community.

Yesterday I installed a new 5G Smarty sim card into my 4G compatible phone. After researching this online I was lead to believe that because my phone is only compatible with 4G it would automatically use that network. My phone is still awaiting an existing number transfer from my old provider and is scheduled to complete on Monday. I'm not sure if this is the problem.

So I've noticed that my phone now has no data usage currently and is not connected to 4G.

Would I need to manually change something or will my phone automatically connect to 4G when it is ready?

4 REPLIES 4

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

If you have a 4G phone, you will only get 4G connectivity, not 5G.

Your phone should automatically to 4G.

Check that your new Smarty SIM is showing as activated within your Smarty dashboard.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@UrbanViking The sim is a standard one and will connect to whatever signal it can find starting with 5G and then moving down to 4G and 3G(at present).

Does you account dashboard show that you have a sim - albeit with a randomly allocated phone number? If so, it should be OK. Probably worth turning the phone off and on to try and force it to register correctly. also worth checking the network in your postcode to ensure no masts are down.

@MSF 

Thank you for your response. I have since fixed the problem. In my settings, I noticed that Smarty was not selected in access point names. I selected that and then restarted my phone and now it has connected back yo 4g.

@UrbanViking Good news indeed!!!!