cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4g calling / VoLTE

mikeash_1845715
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, Recently moved to Smarty from Voda and very happy.

I am interested in whether 4g calling is currently available or is planned for the future?

If it is available now i wonder if their is a webpage on the smarty website that lists compatible phones? (if found a list for wifi calling but not one for 4g calling)

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay @mikeash_1845715, the handsets Three currently sell are all 4G-VoLTE (4G Calling) enabled. This should give you an idea of the range handsets available, which will work with your SMARTY SIM once Three's 3G network is turned off (by end of 2024). 

Purchase your new handset anywhere, but make sure you get the same specification as those being sold by Three.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

Perhaps I am not understanding the question. Aren't calls normally via 4G or sometimes via 5G if available in the area?

i'm uncertain as to how it works but need to know more about device compatibility for 4g calling as apparently my current phone (motorola moto g6) isnt compatible so i;m planning on buying a more recent model but want to make sure that it will be compatible before i purchase.

Okay @mikeash_1845715, the handsets Three currently sell are all 4G-VoLTE (4G Calling) enabled. This should give you an idea of the range handsets available, which will work with your SMARTY SIM once Three's 3G network is turned off (by end of 2024). 

Purchase your new handset anywhere, but make sure you get the same specification as those being sold by Three.

thats a great idea, thankyou. HJust had a look and it appears they dont offer any Motorola Moto handsets. Shame as I rather like them.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

I think the information you're looking for is in the SMARTY FAQ section in the "Switching off 3G" article.

Visit the Switching off 3G information page for all the details.

Cheers. i will have a look

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

4G calling (VoLTE) is available on the SMARTY network.

To clarify, VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE and is a kind of VoIP call. When activated any incoming or outgoing calls come in or go out over your cell data. Down side is that calls can become problematic if your data service is poor or bottle necked. If you didn't know already, traditional calls can't be made over SMATY's 4G or 5G network and any calls you make when VoLTE is disabled or not available go via their 3G network. 

PETERWI_2561514
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

From my information 4G calling is not available  through SMARTY. Only the main providers offer it. I only found out when I could not make a call whilst at Waterloo Station even though there was 10Gb/s of 4G download available.  

There seem to be lots of mobile service issues reported for Waterloo Station, @PETERWI_2561514.

My iPhone + SMARTY SIM works with 4G Calling, both here in the UK and while roaming overseas.