cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g switch off / Volte - Supported on all other networks but 3

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a phone that supports 5G and Volte calling (at least on my EE sim because I have it enabled) I just had an email from Smarty saying my phone isn't supported (And I don't have the volte option on the Smarty sim in the settings menu)

Obviously I'm not buying a new phone because it works perfectly fine on other networks so I guess I need to jump ship to a network that doesn't put arbitrary limits on volte

So when is smarty going to remove this limit on handsets models not sold by them / 3?

From the debug menu:

EE - Volte Provision enabled

Screenshot_20230728-125203.png

Smarty: Volte provision disabled

Screenshot_20230728-125151.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I ended up getting a 3 sim and I have WiFi and Volte support so whatever the issue is Smarty limits devices for some reason, currently in the process of porting my number away now.

To see if you have Volte dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Scroll down and see if Volte provisioned / Wifi calling is enabled. See the photos in the OP for reference.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@dawdie  Not aware that Smarty actually sell handsets. There is admittedly a link to Rebox on the website, but that is refurbs.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

No problems with 5G / VOLTE on an Asus Zenfone 9, which from memory, is / was only offered by O2 here (I bought mine direct from Asus) 

Smarty themselves don’t make phones, nor do they sell phones, they just offer a £40 discount to customers through “Reboxed” who sell refurbished second hand phones.

What phone do you have ?

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Sony Xperia 1 III, I just flashed the non vendor specific firmware to it (was on O2) firmware and I still have the issue.

I guess at this point I need to look at moving elsewhere annoyingly, I know I could never get volWiFi because it wasn't on the list of approved three handsets so all I can assume is thats the same for Volte.

Looking online at other comments Volte needs to enabled at the carrier end as well as the end user having a supported device and based on my chats with support ill likely win the lottery before that happens

Hi @dawdie 👋
Even though 3G is being turned off 4G coverage will still be supported. They also said my phone was not supported but HOW do they know what phone I have??🤔🤔 and it gets 4G so all is good.
If you check under 'Settings➡️Network & Internet➡️Mobile Network➡️Advanced➡️Preferred Network type' it will show you the types of coverage your handset accepts (mine is 2G/3G/4G, so hopefully I won't have to buy another one in the near future🙄) As long as you have 4G or 5G you are good to go😁
Hope this helps x x 

Without VoLTE enabled you won't be able to receive or make calls/texts/use data. Regardless of if you have 4g currently 

"Some device’s are 4G, but do not have VoLTE capability, meaning you'll need to upgrade to a VoLTE-compatible device to connect to the 4G VoLTE spectrum when 3G is turned off in your area." My phone supports VoLTE, 3 don't support my phone.

They don't know what phone you use but they can look at mast data to see how you are connecting to it.

An easy way to see if you are using VoLTE is to make a phone call and see if you are still connected to 4G

Hi @dawdie 👋

I can't get my brain around what VoLTE is🤔😶 (it's an age thing!) but when I clicked on the link in the email to 'check my phone' I got these directions...

Android devices

Most Android smartphones made in the past decade support 4G VolTE

1. Go to ‘Settings’ on your Android phone
  2. Tap on ‘Network & Internet’
  3. Tap on ‘Mobile Network’
  4. If your device is compatible with 4G VolTE or 5G, you will see either ‘4G’ or ’5G’ as an option under ‘Preferred network type’ or ‘Network mode’

With my mobile I see '4G' (which is selected) and so I am assuming that all is OK?!?!?! If the 4G VoLTE capability is not supported by my mobile does this mean that the 4G option would not be seen as an option?? #confused
I don't have the £ to buy another compatible VoLTE mobile..... is VoLTE the 'norm' for 4G or is there a 'Non-VoLTE' 4G (apologies I don't know how else to form this question)??
Ta kindly for your advice x

Hi @Decembersangel irrespective of whether you've got 4G or 5G signal, the VoLTE is a separate feature on your phone that utilises the network to make calls over your data connection. These calls function the same way as today by using up your calls allowance. Networks have stated that if your device does not support at least 4G, then you'll not be able to make calls. VoLTE brings benefits like higher quality audio, faster call connection and better coverage.

VoLTE is going to become increasingly important as the 3G switchoff happens since once that happens, there will be no 3G network for calls to fall back on, so they'll have to take place on 4G. This is why there is a recommendation to future-proof now and have a device that is VoLTE compatible for when this happens so that you don't experience any interruptions to your service.

On many devices you may not see a button or icon for those - not all networks have profiles for every manufacturer or device but a good way to indicate whether VoLTE works on your device is to simply:

Switch off Wifi
Make sure mobile data is on
Place a call
During the call check that you remain on 4G/5G

If you remain then VoLTE is working - no further action needed. 
If however you end up dropping to 3G then you don't have VoLTE active. Mobile networks have contributed to the mess that is in understanding which models are supported by which network - not all phones will work everywhere! If the network you're intending to use has a list of compatible phones that is usually a good place to start in order to understand what your options are, if you want to make use of this.

In many years from now, VoNR (Voice over 5G) may become the standard that replaces this. Then we start to experience the 'real 5G', when we get to that! 😁

Hope this helps!

dawdie
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I ended up getting a 3 sim and I have WiFi and Volte support so whatever the issue is Smarty limits devices for some reason, currently in the process of porting my number away now.

To see if you have Volte dial *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Scroll down and see if Volte provisioned / Wifi calling is enabled. See the photos in the OP for reference.

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Thank you 👍

@jassingh I tried your method and I could still make a call BUT I'm not sure that it stayed on 4G as the header with the info changed from 4G to 'Home' during the call 🤔 but looking at the advice from @dawdie  I don't have Volte 😠

@dawdie Good advice! I looked at this and my phone doesn't have either of these options available (they are greyed out) 😤 How comparable is a 3 sim?? I am currently on a SMARTY plan that is £7/mth which includes 2GB data and I get a refund on my next months bill for all of the previous  months data I don't use (as I have never needed to use my data I get £2 deducted every month so I pay £5 for unlimited call and texts) Does 3 give all the same benefits as SMARTY e.g. picture texts are included in the bundle etc

Does anyone know when this 4G Volte comes into force?? Is it soon?? If it's close then I will have to scrape together the £ to get another phone but I'm hoping I have a bit of time to sort this out and then there is the decision of what phone to get and from where ARRRRGGGGHHHHH 😠😠😠
Does anyone have any recommendations of any other service provider(s) that support 4G (non Volte) or are/will they all be going in that direction?? Such a faff!!🤣