cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Athletic - Be careful about subscribing long term

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

As a long time subscriber to “The Athletic”, the sports News website and app, I found out yesterday that the company, bought by the New York Times a while ago, has laid off some staff writers. 

If anyone subscribes to “The Athletic” and their subscription is due for renewal in the near future, I would advise subscribing on a month to month basis, rather than buying an annual subscription, as the future for “The Athletic” looks uncertain to say the least. 

4 REPLIES 4

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@JJP2,

Unfortunately this seems to happen all to frequently, with bigger companies taking over smaller ones, and then hollowing out their purchases, often to the point of their eventual demise 😕

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Sad but true @Strandloper 

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Good to know @JJP2,

I do see their articles posted in a subreddit of the club I support quite often. Looks like they have an attractive offer for monthly subscription currently as well. I would even subscribe if it helped my team to score goals 🤔

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

They usually have offers for £1 or £1.99 a month. 

The Athletic is / was good, however my mate who is a Wolverhampton Wanderers fan told me this morning that their Wolves reporter is watching games on TV ! No idea how that works with the 3 PM Saturday blackouts here ? 

*cough* IPTV *cough* ? 😗😉