cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE Support

jamescutts
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I've hit my first snag with SMARTY, having jumped over from Three last week everything has gone through smoothly and working mostly as expected, with a few issues getting an equally as good signal in a few locations (but to be expected).

However I'd noticed that WiFi calling and VoLTE don't seem to be enabled, (WiFi calling being a big dealbreaker for me), I thought it might just be a provisioning thing at first so ive left it a few day's however I still can't see it.

Chat support hasn't been very useful, just stating it's not compatible, with no other explanation, other than an empty apology and thanking me for my patience?

I've previously had this supported perfectly fine on both Three and EE, I'm using a Sony Xperia V II (a bit long in the tooth now but by no means ancient), looking at the device compatibility list, there's both devices which are way older and running much older versions of android to boot. 

Can anyone shed any light into this? Without a good explanation as to why a device doesn't support WiFi calling on the SMARTY network but works perfectly fine on others, I'm hesitant to upgrade to a newer model in case of the same result. I can't really see why it would be a hardware or OS issue so it must be a configuration issue on the SMARTY network side? 

If I'm being honest this isn't very encouraging, and with no contract to lock me in I'm already considering moving again.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @jamescutts 

Thank you for reaching out to our SMARTY community.

Although SMARTY share the Three network, we operate as different providers, this means some services Three offer may not be offered by us, this includes Wi-Fi-Calling. 

You can view our Wi-Fi-Calling compatibility list here - Which devices are compatible with WiFi Calling? | SMARTY Help Centre

We are continuously working on adding new devices to this list but I am unable to provide a timeframe as to when your device would be compatible with this feature. 

I appreciate your feedback on this and I can assure you it does not go unnoticed. 

Jodie

View solution in original post

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Maybe Three UK and SMARTY use different IMS systems for provisioning VoLTE and WiFi Calling services on their mobile networks, @jamescutts. This could explain why your Sony Xperia works with one and not the other.

When I used Android devices, being able to use a WiFi Calling service with my handset was always problematic. Because I needed a WiFi Calling service in my mobile not-spot, I reluctantly switched to iOS and an iPhone - mainly because the big 4 UK networks all supported iPhone handsets with VoLTE and WiFi Calling, while offering limited support for Android devices.  

With my iPhone, I've not encountered issues with VoLTE and WiFi Calling support. If you're using an Xperia handset and not an iPhone, perhaps you'll always find your service provider choices are limited. 

At least there's no 12/24 month minimum-term lock-in at SMARTY, @jamescutts.  
🍀

Sorry @jamescutts, your Xperia might be able to use a mobile data connection after 3G switch-off, but how would you make/receive calls, and send/receive text messages, if your Xperia device doesn't work with SMARTY's current VoLTE and WiFi Calling services, running on their 4G data network? 

You might have to rely on Skype calls or WhatsApp calls, over your SMARTY mobile data connection.

14 REPLIES 14

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @jamescutts 

Thank you for reaching out to our SMARTY community.

Although SMARTY share the Three network, we operate as different providers, this means some services Three offer may not be offered by us, this includes Wi-Fi-Calling. 

You can view our Wi-Fi-Calling compatibility list here - Which devices are compatible with WiFi Calling? | SMARTY Help Centre

We are continuously working on adding new devices to this list but I am unable to provide a timeframe as to when your device would be compatible with this feature. 

I appreciate your feedback on this and I can assure you it does not go unnoticed. 

Jodie

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Maybe Three UK and SMARTY use different IMS systems for provisioning VoLTE and WiFi Calling services on their mobile networks, @jamescutts. This could explain why your Sony Xperia works with one and not the other.

When I used Android devices, being able to use a WiFi Calling service with my handset was always problematic. Because I needed a WiFi Calling service in my mobile not-spot, I reluctantly switched to iOS and an iPhone - mainly because the big 4 UK networks all supported iPhone handsets with VoLTE and WiFi Calling, while offering limited support for Android devices.  

With my iPhone, I've not encountered issues with VoLTE and WiFi Calling support. If you're using an Xperia handset and not an iPhone, perhaps you'll always find your service provider choices are limited. 

At least there's no 12/24 month minimum-term lock-in at SMARTY, @jamescutts.  
🍀

jamescutts
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thanks for the replies both appreciated.

I'd much rather reluctantly switch network again than move over to a iPhone @Chalkychap thought there's some useful insight there.

I'm still confused as to the incredibly patchy device support that doesn't seem to follow any pattern, a few years old flagship isn't supported but a older low end Alcatel is, and no Nokia in the last few years seems to have made the cut? 

Is there any way you can provide any more insight @JodieC as to the requirements for a device to support WiFi Calling and VoLTE? There must be some technical explanation even if it's a business decision. Having read various other chats it seems this very patchy support is a common theme on SMARTY. I very much get as a MVNO SMARTY's network and systems are different. 

I don't want to be overly critical but as everything so far except this has been great but I'm not really gaining any confidence in the network if there's no explanations. I plan on buying a new device sometime soon, pretty much anything I might pick will have Wifi Calling but now I either have to choose from a very constrained list or move to another network, you can probably guess what I'll end up doing?

Thanks @jamescutts.
Unfortunately, I suspect you'll find whenever resources are limited, network operators focus on supporting handsets with bigger market shares.

In the UK, this probably means offering VoLTE and WiFi Calling support for Apple, Samsung, Google, Xiaomi, and Honor devices in the main. 

I think that's certainly a factor @Chalkychap I'd just love (and I'm sure others would too) some documented requirements so that I use to help me make informed decisions, is it just SMARTY needing to enable it or is it requirement for a particular thing in the OS etc? I'm never not going to be baffled as to why my ancient and cheap backup Nokia 7.2 works but my ex-flagship Xperia V II doesn't 😄

I'm certainly willing to stick it out for a bit and see though at least for a good few months. I might end up dual siming with someone like the 4 letter V provider who do have support to get me out of those tricky situations where i need Voice over Wifi, though with the inconvenience of an extra number.

Inevitably I'll also be switching to a new phone at some point, if it works with that new device great, if not then I'll probably switch at that point.

I suspect support for VoLTE and WiFi Calling is a grey-area or dark-art, @jamescutts

It's my understanding both these services rely on the IMS solution the network operator deployed with their network infrastructure.

The IMS solution provides support for IP-based packet switched calls, over the operator's data network, as opposed to 'traditional' circuit switched calls.

With 3G switch-off by end of 2024, the operator can't provide circuit switched calling, so if you stick with SMARTY your Xperia won't be too useful. 

I don't think that's quite right @Chalkychap  4G and 5G devices shouldn't be affected by the 3G switch off, standard calls and texts should continue to work just fine. 

Sorry @jamescutts, your Xperia might be able to use a mobile data connection after 3G switch-off, but how would you make/receive calls, and send/receive text messages, if your Xperia device doesn't work with SMARTY's current VoLTE and WiFi Calling services, running on their 4G data network? 

You might have to rely on Skype calls or WhatsApp calls, over your SMARTY mobile data connection.

Hmm, yeah theres no 2G network for it to fall back on like the other networks is there. This could actually be a huge issue, as SMARTY isnt communicating this well at all. Are SMARTY really saying sorry not our problem for not enabling functionality on devices that have had it for 10+ years including those which are brand new @JodieC and not telling anyone about it? I'd also wonder how it would fit into obligations such as the PAC transfer service which I believe networks have to provide? 

I think you've made my mind up for me @Chalkychap I'll be transferring off to one of the other networks, on a quick check the other big 3 and Three all seem to support my device on their compatibility lists.

Such a shame, as SMARTY's just gone from a firm recommend to a hard avoid. I'll now be monitoring the impact of the turn off before making any recomendations.

UPDATE:
This probably isn't actually as complicated as we've perhaps made it 😄 The initial query about VoWifi stands but the recently added potential fallout of VoLTE we may have blow up a bit.

I've just checked in with support via chat on the status of VoLTE, this was the response:

Be rest assured, if your device supports 4G and 5G then you will be able to use services without any issue.

This actually aligns with the advice on the switch off page here Switching off 3G | SMARTY the android device only needs to be showing as "4G" or "5G" as options under network type.

So for now I'm not as concerned for the 3G switch off, though I will be keeping a keen eye on it and unfortunatly wont me making any recommendations until i see its outcome.

Wonder why author of the "We’ll be switching off our 3G network in 2024" page has adopted "VolTE" instead of "VoLTE" (aka 4G Calling) throughout? 

Perhaps 4G / 5G indoor coverage might improve after 3G switch-off, reducing the need to use WiFi Calling. 
🤞

They have switched 3g of here I can't make calls or receive them can send texts and use data Sony Xperia 1 iii and Sony Xperia xz2 

You can still send texts 

All Sony Xperia phones don't work for calling they have switched of 3g here and my Sony Xperia 1 iii and my Sony Xperia xz2 can't make calls and receive them but when I put a 3 network SIM in they both work and WiFi calling works to

SimonGr_1348836
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Did you sort it I'm having the same problem because 3 network have turned 3g of and now I can't make calls