Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an eSIM alongside a Smarty SIM

DavidCr_1194286
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

A bit of advice please.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro, that has eSIM capability,with a Smarty SIM  installed.   I plan to travel in Africa and intend to buy data for roaming via an Airolo eSIM package.

If Install the Airolo eSIM  (manually or via a QR Code) will it disconnect (temporarily or otherwise) the Smarty SIM or will I be able to select either of them depending on what I want to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

The eSIM plans I've used in my iPhone 13, alongside my SMARTY SIM card, never disconnected or disabled my SMARTY SIM, @DavidCr_1194286.  

I used these data-only eSIM plans while travelling in Australia and the USA. As per recommendation by @MSF, I turned OFF mobile data for my SMARTY SIM while roaming. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@DavidCr_1194286 I have recent experience of using an Airalo Esim in S. America. Once installed, you then alter your iPhone settings to switch off the Smarty sim selectively and make the Esim priority - certainly for data.

It works out perhaps easier than you imagine and I was certainly pleased with the whole process.

One hint - look at global, regional and country sims on Airalo to check which is cheaper for the data you need.

Many thanks - most helpful. 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

The eSIM plans I've used in my iPhone 13, alongside my SMARTY SIM card, never disconnected or disabled my SMARTY SIM, @DavidCr_1194286.  

I used these data-only eSIM plans while travelling in Australia and the USA. As per recommendation by @MSF, I turned OFF mobile data for my SMARTY SIM while roaming. 

Thank you very much Chalkychap- all very helpful and reassuring!