cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text messages sent when phone is off never arrive

ChrisD27
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I really like Smarty except for one problem that re-occurs.  I don't keep my phone on all the time and, if someone sends me a text message when it's off, I sometimes don't get it.  I contacted Smarty about this issue when I first became aware of it last year, but they couldn't explain it or help.    Recently, when I turn my phone on, the text message icon appears in the top left corner, making me think a text will appear, but then there is nothing.  I have since found out a friend did send me texts that never arrived.  I don't have this problem when my phone is on - e.g., getting verification codes when making a purchase - and I never had this problem with any of the other networks I've used (Virgin, Asda, Three).  Any ideas or suggestions?  I use Google Messages, which is up-to-date, and Android 10 on a Moto G8 plus.

6 REPLIES 6

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Perhaps look at your Google Account information online, @ChrisD27

Check you don't have multiple devices using the same phone number in your Google Account.

Thanks for the suggestion, but only my phone uses my phone number.

@ChrisD27  Are these messages sent via data rather than sms? I wonder if this is a Google issue rather than Smarty? Should your account not sync when you turn the phone back on?

ChrisD27
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

No, these are SMS messages, and it's the same messaging app I always used with other mobile services - used to be called Android Messages, now Google Messages (but you only know it's Google by going into settings - the app just calls itself 'Messages' ).  

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

I wouldn't so sure, @ChrisD27

Google collect all sorts of information when you've got a Google Account, which would be the case with an Android handset.

Have you checked the information in your Google Account online?

Yes, I've checked.  As I've said, I've never had this problem with other mobile services,a dn I've been using this app the whole time.