cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a bitcoin node on SMARTY?

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Is any one running a bitcoin node on SMARTY? Or know if it's feasible or, indeed, okay by SMARTY.

I guess you'd need a data only plan devoted to the node?

Any info/ideas welcome.  

tia.

P.S. I'm not suggesting mining. Just running a full node.

2 REPLIES 2

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Hello @fuzzy . Could this be seen as a commercial activity? If it is interpreted that way, it is against the Smarty t&c's and the account could be closed down.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

It's certainly commercial if you're mining but if you're strictly just running a node, so not making any money out of it, then it's a grey area, I think. That's why I added the P.S. 

I haven't done the maths yet, to see how much data it'd use per month. If it's not too much I don't see why SMARTY would object? Actually, not sure why SMARTY distinguishes between commercial and non-commercial? I mean, if you pay for 20GB/mnt what's the difference if you use it for commercial or personal stuff? It's still 20Gb limit.

Anyway, with the advent of the Lightning Network[1], and other 2nd layers, I think SMARTY, and other service providers, are going to have to make clear what's permissible and what's not. They really need to keep up, IMO.

[1] People and firms can run Lightning nodes too. Which differ from Bitcoin nodes, AIUI. Far less bandwidth, in general.