cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] Smarty plans are ridiculously good value

Astrophsica
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

At the end of 2020, my EE phone plan ended.

- At December 2020, I switched to Smarty whete I paid £15 for 50GB.

- I then got a deal where I can get 50GB for £12 instead, which was only meant to last a year.

- I then get a notification a year later that the £12 for 50GB got extended by another year (so 2 years total!)

- On 2022, I got an email for a black friday deal, where I would get 120GB for £12!?!? That's more than double than what I had before for £12. I don't even know how to use this much data! On top of this, I checked Voxi black friday deal and Smarty was still better for me.

If you ever want a good deal with Smarty, definitely look out of Black Friday deals 👀 - Existing and new customers can get these special deals. I checked the terms and conditions this year and you keep the price for as long as you stay on the plan. I have no idea how Smarty is able to get cheap prices 🤷

To clarify, I'm not Smarty staff, nor am I paid by them. I'm just so confused how the prices are cheap. I believe the phone service is just equivalent to three (3) phone service as well, which is okay.

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

When Voxi first arrived on the scene (and before I was with Smarty), they were only selling to under-30 year olds (I think it was 30). I considered that to be discriminatory and wrote to tell them so (Yes....you guessed...I am over 30).

It seems that they have had a change of philosophy now, but on principle, I would never consider them.

Richard_1587184
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I had been with o2 for many years, going right back when it was BT Cellnet as they gave the best signal in my area. The last plan I had was a 12 month Sim Only, paying £20 for 80gb data. I never reached anywhere near that, but as it offered 6 months of free Disney+, it made it worth it. During this time, it went up by nearly £2.50 per month with the annual price increase. 

However, since the start of the year, I have been experiencing a drop in signal while they are installing 5g in the area, so sometimes I struggled to get any signal at all. My brother used to be with 3 and always had a good signal, so in July, I thought I would try Smarty. Paying £7 for 12gb which was the same price as the 8gb plan, I made the switch, and I am glad to say, the signal is so much better now. I realised I needed more data in November, so changed up to 30gb for £10. This then cancelled out the initial offer, so switched back to 8gb for £7. I have noticed I am getting close to my data limit and saw a double data offer of 24gb for £8, which I may just stick with for now as it is still a lot less than o2.

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

A friend effectively got me on this indirectly, and my the o2/Giffgaff signal wasn't as good as the signal where I am so I went on it and it's very good, no complaints..the customer service, to be honest was very good..they where really bothered I was good on it and that way more than i've ever had 👌

PeterC
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Well data doesn't really cost money. What costs is putting the infrastructure in place and then the operators can charge what they can get away with (or they can reduce the cost to undercut the competition and attract more customers). I'd suggest Smarty are using the second tactic to build market position.